This was supposed to be a green smoothie, but when it came time to make it, I was craving blueberries instead.
But that’s OK! I’m getting better at listening to my body’s cues. And, when it asks for blueberries, I give it blueberries.
This smoothie requires 6 simple ingredients, a blender, and 5 minutes to make.
The base is frozen ripe banana and wild, organic, frozen blueberries (a wintertime favorite of mine). Next comes almond butter for some plant-based protein and creaminess, and almond milk blends everything together. I also added flax and chia seed for plant-based fiber and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
Not only is this smoothie healthy, it’s insanely delicious. It’s somewhere between a blueberry milkshake and a banana smoothie – my favorite. Trust me, you’re gonna want this smoothie.
I hope you all love this smoothie! It’s:
& So tasty
This would make the perfect, quick weekday breakfast or afternoon snack. It’s even a suitable dessert! I love adding a little coconut milk to my serving glass before pouring on the smoothie for a “swirl” effect. Makes mealtime more fun (and beautiful).
Love blueberries? Be sure to try my Blueberry Muffin Breakfast Cookies and Coconut Oil Blueberry Scones with Rosemary! Looking for more smoothie ideas? Check out a few of my other favorites: Ginger Colada Green Smoothie, PB&J Date Smoothie, 5-Ingredient Detox Smoothie, and Carrot Ginger Turmeric Smoothie.
If you try this recipe, let us know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram! We’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
Blueberry Almond Butter Smoothie
An insanely creamy, nutritious, 6-ingredient smoothie with wild blueberries, banana, almond butter, flaxseed, and chia seed. A delicious, plant-based breakfast or snack!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Breakfast, Beverage
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1 1/2 cups (~1 1/2 bananas or 200 g) ripe chunks frozen banana
- 1/2 cup (74 g) frozen blueberries (wild, organic when possible)
- 1 Tbsp (16 g) almond butter (or peanut or sunflower seed butter)
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 Tbsp (7 g) flaxseed meal
- 1 Tbsp (12 g) chia seed
- optional: 1-2 Tbsp (5-10 g) protein powder (see my Vegan Vanilla Protein Powder Review for recommendations)
- Add frozen banana, blueberries, almond butter, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, and almond milk to a high-speed blender and blend on high until creamy and smooth. Protein powder is optional and I skipped it, but it would make a great addition for more staying powder (just know it will affect the flavor/sweetness). See my full Vegan Vanilla Protein Powder Review for recommendations.
- If it has trouble blending, add a bit more almond milk. Then taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more banana (or a bit of stevia) for sweetness, blueberries for fruitiness, almond butter for nuttiness/creaminess, or almond milk to thin.
- To serve: An optional step is to pour a bit of light coconut milk or almond milk into your serving glass(es) first and then top with the smoothie for a swirl effect! Coconut milk is thicker and makes a better swirl, but both work.
- Garnish with additional chia seeds and/or almond butter (optional) and enjoy! Store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 2 days, though best when fresh.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 2 smoothies calculated without protein powder or additional toppings (i.e. coconut milk or chia seed).
Serving size: 1 smoothie (of 2) Calories: 183 Fat: 5.5 g Saturated fat: 0.7 g Carbohydrates: 31.9 g Sugar: 16.1 g Sodium: 73 mg Fiber: 6.6 g Protein: 3.8 g