Creamy Garlic Parmesan Scalloped Potatoes with a crispy, cheesy top is the best side dish to any meal!
Soft and tender, smothered and enveloped in a thick and creamy garlic sauce; layered with mozzarella cheese for a cheesy string, PLUS parmesan for added flavour, then crisped with your oven broiler or grill to get a crisp, cheesy top. There are scalloped potatoes…..and then there are SCALLOPED POTATOES. The kind that are so addictive, you can eat maybe half the pan in one sitting, because in that moment, meat becomes overrated.
With the insane chaos this Garlic Parmesan Mac And Cheese is causing, I thought, for one moment, what would potatoes replacing pasta be like. Well…let me just say….these potatoes are the best scalloped potatoes we’ve ever made. Or eaten. In fact, the whole family forgot about the juicy roast chicken sitting on the table to make way for this on their plates.
No heavy creams are used for this. Just a good béchamel style sauce filled with garlic flavours, then poured over and layered in between your sliced potatoes.
It doesn’t get any better!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Garlic Parmesan Scalloped Potatoes
Garlic Parmesan Scalloped Potatoes layered in a creamy garlic sauce with parmesan and mozzarella is the best side dish to any meal!
Author: Karina – Cafe Delites
Serves: 6 (as side dish)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or 4 large garlic cloves, minced)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose (or plain) flour
- 4 cups milk (skim, 2% or full fat — more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon chicken bullion powder (or Kosher salt)
- Salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 pounds | 2 kgs potatoes, peeled and sliced into ⅛-inch rounds
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F | 200°C.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized pan / pot. Add the garlic and sauté until just fragrant (about 1 minute). Whisk in the flour; continue to cook while whisking (or stirring) for at least 2 minutes. Reduce heat down to low; gradually whisk in 4 cups of the milk (about ¼ cup at a time), whisking between each addition to combine. Bring to a boil until beginning to thicken. Stir in the bullion powder, salt (if needed), and pepper. Set aside.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking oil spray. Arrange a layer of potatoes over base of prepared dish. Pour half of the cream sauce over the potatoes, then top evenly with half of the mozzarella cheese, and half of the Parmesan cheese. Arrange the remaining potato slices over the cheese, the remaining creamy sauce, and the remaining cheeses.
- Cover tightly with aluminium foil and bake for 40 minutes until potatoes are just tender. Remove foil; cook for a further 30 minutes or until top is golden and the sauce is bubbling. For a crispier top, broil (or grill) on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until cheese is crispy.
- Garnish with chives. Serve warm.
© 2016, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.