This INSTANT POT CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP is so flavorful, comforting, easy, and perfect! The entire family will love this classic recipe with a pressure cooker twist.
I have a serious love for Chicken + Soup. Mom’s Creamy Chicken Soup is my fave soup of all time, and my Chicken Pot Pie Soup, Creamy White Chicken Chili with Cream Cheese, and White Wine Chicken Stew are three of my go-to’s when I’m craving a pot of goodness. Chicken Tortilla Soup has always been a staple in our house…there’s just something about the spice from the flavors and the crunch from the fried tortillas that sends me into food heaven. I can’t get enough! Since I’ve been playing around with how to make all my favorites in a pressure cooker, it was only a matter of time before I tried Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup. SUCCESS!
The weather may be starting to warm up little by little, but there’s still plenty of soup season left to enjoy. We had SNOW this weekend!! Let’s not wish Spring here too soon…let’s keep enjoying the warm fires and warm meals before we are all having to cool off any way possible this Summer. I’m so much more the person that wants to wear layers than wear a swimsuit. I dread the Summer all year long.
If you’re looking for an easy, hearty, flavorful, LOVED BY ALL soup to serve this week, this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is just the thing! I love to top it with fresh limes, avocados, cilantro, sour cream, cojita cheese, fried tortillas, and diced tomatoes. The more toppings the better if you ask me. Whatever you choose to top it with…crushed chips or homemade fried tortillas are a MUST! You cannot eat Chicken Tortilla Soup without the tortillas! TRUST AND BELIEVE. I will never get tired of a spicy soup like this!
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as we do. Be sure to check out the Shop This Post section below to see my favorite Instant Pots. If you haven’t tried it yet, today is the day! xoxo
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can Fire-roasted Rotel tomatoes, or regular Rotel Tomatoes *See note
- 1 can (10 ¾ ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (10 ¾ ounces) chicken broth
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups tomato juice
- 3-4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice from ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon bottled steak sauce
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Tortilla chips or strips
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Avocado slices
- Sour Cream
- Cojita cheese, crumbled
- Shredded Mexican or Cheddar cheese
- Extra tortilla chips
For the soup:
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté. After 1 minute, add the diced onion and cook until the onion has softened and is translucent. Add the minced garlic and set the Instant Pot to Keep Warm/Cancel.
- Set the chicken thighs on top of the onion/garlic mixture and add all the remaining soup ingredients on top of the chicken.
- Set the Instant Pot to SOUP and adjust the timer to 10 minutes with a 10-minute natural release. After 10 minutes of natural release, place a clean dishcloth over the valve and turn the valve to quick release. When the red button (float valve) goes down, the lid is safe to open.
- Use tongs to transfer the meat to a cutting board and cut the chicken into 1-inch chunks (or use two forks to shred the chicken).
- Add the chicken back to the soup and serve.
- Serve with your other favorite garnishes.
- Stack 3 corn tortillas and cut in half. Slice the halved tortillas crosswise into ¼” strips. Heat a skillet over medium heat until hot and add 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil. Heat the oil until it shimmers and add the tortilla strips. Stir often until the strips are golden and crispy. Transfer the strips to a paper towel-lined plate to dry. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Set aside until the soup is ready to serve.
For the Soup:
To serve: add crushed tortilla chips (or strips) to each soup bowl and ladle the soup on top. Add a squeeze of lime and fresh cilantro.
To make the Tortilla Strips: