This MEXICAN CHEESY CHICKEN CHOWDER is the ultimate Winter comfort food soup! Loaded with spicy tomatoes, green peppers, hash brown potatoes, garlic, onion, CHEESE, and more, this was an instant favorite at our house. Serve with fritos or tortilla chips and you’re in business. SO GOOD.
OOOOOOO have I got a good one for you guys today! I’m so excited about this cheesy hearty goodness that I’m publishing it just one day after making it. I have quite a few other drafts in queue but this Mexican Cheesy Chicken Chowder got pushed to the front of the line. With the cold weather wreaking havoc on more than half the country, we are all in need of some good old fashioned comfort food.
I LOVVVVE this cheesy chowder because its loaded with good stuff like chicken, potatoes, cilantro, CHEESE, onion (Pat didn’t even notice….shhh!), green pepper, and more…but it’s also SO easy to throw together. Anything I can make in under 30 minutes is a-okay by me…especially when Henry is in tow. This one is a winner!
Pat and I are supposed to be dieting for New Years Resolutions….but weekends are for breaking the rules. This chowder made for a great game day. Pat got to watch (so so so so much) sports and I got to just sit in the corner and chow down on cheesy soup. I can tolerate a lot of fantasy football talk as long as I have good food to keep me distracted.
I just love all the flavors in this easy soup recipe and LOVE the creamy texture. Throw in some Fritos or Tortilla Chips and you’re really in heaven. So hearty and comforting. Just the way a good soup recipe should be.
Can we also talk about those adorable enamel spoons? I DIE. You guys know I have a food prop shopping addiction, and these spoons were a must. They’re so darn cute.
Back to what’s important, this MEXICAN CHEESY CHICKEN CHOWDER. I hope you guys love it as much as we do. I have a feeling we will be making this easy recipe again and again!
Mexican Cheesy Chicken Chowder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green peppers, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed (small cubes…bite sized pieces)
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen diced hash-brown potatoes
- 1 (2.64 ounce) package country gravy mix
- 2 cups heavy cream (or milk…but lets be honest…the creamier the better 🙂
- 12 ounces Velveeta, cut into small chunks
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Rotel Tomatoes (of if you don’t want spicy, go with regular diced tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream, Fritos, or Tortilla Chips for garnish
- Add oil to the bottom of a dutch oven or stock pot and turn heat to medium/high. Stir in garlic, onion, and green pepper and allow to saute until translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add in cubed chicken, chicken broth, salt and pepper, and frozen potatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally. While cooking, stir together cream and gravy mix in a separate bowl and set aside.
- After 15 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through), pour in the gravy/cream mix and toss in the Velveeta, tomatoes, and cilantro. Move heat to low/medium and cook uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
- Serve immediately, garnished with sour cream, Fritos, or Tortilla Chips.