Going meatless never tasted this good. These are basically mini veggie burgers or meatballs. I shaped them into nuggets but you can easily do balls. I always feel great when I eat meatless. Especially when the dish is baked and not fried in a pan with a ton of oil. These still have a crispy exterior to them by the way. Really delicious and flavorful thanks to the spices and bbq sauce mixture.
Also, I highly recommend cooking your quinoa in vegetable or chicken stock. It makes such a difference.
- 1 cup quinoa (COOKED)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans
- 3 tbs bbq sauce
- 1 tbs canned chipotle pepper, minced
- 1 tbs molasses
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 shallot, minced (or 1/4 cup of any onion)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or oats)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain the beans, rinse them, dry them with paper towel and then mash them.
- In a small bowl, combine the bbq sauce, chipotle pepper and molasses and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, mashed beans, jalapeño, shallot, garlic, carrot, breadcrumb, cumin, salt n pepper, and egg. Add 2/3 of the bbq sauce/chipotle/molasses to the quinoa mixture and combine all.
- Form meatballs and flatten slightly. Place em on your baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes – FLIPPING MIDWAY THROUGH – or until golden brown.
*Notes: Make it gluten free by using gluten free oats or breadcrumb.
Yields 17 nuggets.
Optional Avocado Crema Dip: 2 avocados mashed, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 clove garlic, grated & lemon juice to taste.