posted by Allison on September 27, 2017
Triple Berry Banana Bread is a fun, fruity twist on the beloved classic. With blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and a simple lemon glaze, this banana bread is one for the books!
This is a guest post from my lovely friend Allison, she’s the write and photographer behind the blog, Some the Wiser.
There was a time in my life when I thought I didn’t like banana bread. Luckily, my sister forced me to try a piece of her favorite chocolate chip banana bread during our college years and I realized that I’d just been confused. I only thought I didn’t like banana bread because I’d never tried a really good recipe before.
Since then, I’ve enjoyed many loaves of tasty banana bread (and my favorite Banana Nut Muffins). I always feel grateful my sister turned that around for me.
My mother, however, has been harder to convince. She’s never been a big fan of banana bread. My sister and I have prepared recipes that she’s deemed passable, but she’s still a really hard sell.
I’m pretty sure that this Triple Berry Banana Bread with Lemon Glaze might be the Banana Bread recipe that finally wins her over.
Now, I’m going to let you know up front that this gorgeous Triple Berry Banana Bread leans more toward a cake than a bread. That is to say, you should probably treat this Berry Banana Bread as more of a dessert than a breakfast food. But since I’m being forthright, I should also tell you that I have in fact topped this with whipped cream and eaten it for breakfast. No judgments here.
When you can find fresh berries, they are delicious in a banana bread. However, frozen berries also work well so you can enjoy Triple Berry Banana Bread year round.
The berries look gorgeous baked into this bread, adding both color and flavor. They pair well with the ripe bananas and give the bread a fruitier taste overall. It still resembles a good banana bread – sweet, dense, moist – but the berries are delicious twist.
The Lemon Glaze is optional, but it does add a bright burst of flavor. Lemon is not an obvious flavor pairing with banana, but it’s surprisingly tasty. If you’re making this Triple Berry Banana Bread as a dessert, don’t skip the glaze. It really takes it over the top!
Triple Berry Banana Bread with Lemon Glaze
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium bananas)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mixed berries (if frozen, do not thaw), divided
- For the Lemon Glaze
- juice of half a lemon, about 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (or more if you want a thicker glaze)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a standard sized loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, mashed banana, yogurt, and melted (slightly cooled) butter, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the banana mixture. Stir gently until just combined, being careful not to over mix. Gently fold in 1 1/2 cups of the berries, reserving 1/2 cup for topping.
- Pour batter into prepared bread pan. Sprinkle the remaining berries on top, gently pressing them down into the batter.
- Bake until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. If bread seems to be browning too quickly, tent with aluminum foil.
- Cool the loaf in the pan for 5 minutes, then gently turn out onto a wire rack. Cool completely before cutting.
- To prepare the lemon glaze, whisk together the lemon juice and powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over the top of the bread just before eating.