BUFFALO CHICKEN SOUP
I mean it’s obvious that I have a buffalo chicken obsession. Ever since my sister-in-law Kim made this Buffalo Chicken Dip twelve years ago it’s been on rotation in the Denney household. We’ve made Buffalo Chicken pasta, nachos, and Buffalo Chicken macaroni and cheese. Basically, anything we can incorporate it into, we do!
When it gets cold outside, a good soup is all I crave. This Buffalo Chicken Soup is creamy and has just enough buffalo flavor to satisfy my craving.
WHAT IS BUFFALO SAUCE MADE OF?
The base of buffalo sauce is a mixture of hot sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, butter, and seasonings. I prefer the taste of Frank’s Buffalo Wing sauce.
A mirepoix is the base to most soups and is onion, carrots, and celery. Using this as the base of soups gives it so much flavor and sneaks in those veggies!
CAN I MAKE THIS SPICIER?
Yes. I’ve found that 1/4 cup of Buffalo sauce is the perfect amount to give the soup some kick but mild enough that my kids will eat it.
THICKNESS OF SOUP
If you want it thicker, simmer it longer uncovered or add more cheese. If you need to thin it out, add more chicken broth.
OTHER BUFFALO CHICKEN RECIPES:
Yield: 6 servings
This Buffalo Chicken Soup is creamy and little spicy but mild enough for the whole family.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely diced carrot
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery
- 2 cups chicken broth (I like to use Better than Boullion Base)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1/4 cup Buffalo wing sauce (like Franks)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breasts or thighs (rotisserie chicken is good here too)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- (optional toppings: blue cheese crumbles, bacon)
In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the celery, onion, and carrots and sautee until soft. The carrots take the longest to get soft.
Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, Buffalo wing sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir until combined. Add the cream cheese and cook over medium low heat, whisking until incorporated and smooth.
Reduce heat to low. Stir in the cheese and chicken and simmer until cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with blue cheese crumbles or bacon if desired to serve.