One Dish Chicken, Black Beans, and Rice for an easy weeknight dinner. Even the rice cooks in the pan!
I’m always looking for an easy dinner that I can just throw together and then forget about it. This One Dish Chicken, Black Beans, and Rice is just that!
One Dish Chicken, Black Beans, and Rice
Can I tell you that I’m really craving Mexican food these days. I’m from Arizona and we have the best Mexican food in my opinion. Florida, not so much. There are a few places that attempt it out here but mostly they specialize in Cuban and Haitian food.
I’m all about making my life easier which is why I love one-pan meals. I’ve taken it up a notch with this chicken dinner by making it a one dish meal where the rice actually cooks in the oven.
That’s right. Throw it all in a baking dish and forget about it.
Tips for making this One Dish Chicken, Black Beans, and Rice:
- Usually I don’t love thick chicken breasts and cut mine in half lengthwise for most of my recipes. This recipe is different. Because we are cooking it for a full 45 minutes for the rice to get done the chicken breasts can and should be thick so they don’t dry out. Chicken thighs would be great as well.
- For this recipe you can use mild or medium enchilada sauce. If I’m making it for my kids I always use mild enchilada sauce.
If you like this One Dish Chicken, Black Beans, and Rice, you’ll love these Mexican recipes:
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons green onions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Add the rice, broth, salsa, butter, and salt to the pan and whisk together. Sprinkle the black beans on top.
Lay the chicken breasts on top and pour the enchilada sauce on top of the whole dish.
Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45-55 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the dish and stir rice. Replace the chicken and sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil and let the cheese melt. Sprinkle with the green onions.
Source: adapted from Pillsbury. Added salsa, butter, and sauce. Reduced enchilada sauce and added green onions.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 516 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 141mg Sodium: 1332mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 2g Protein: 50g