Peruvian Chicken Drumsticks are marinated with lime, garlic, peruvian spices and yogurt then baked to perfection and drizzled with an avocado lime sauce! Serve with brown rice or plantain chips for a full meal.
When my Grandma and I get on the phone it’s usually an hour convo about what she’s cooking for her friends or how she’s been swimming and going to zumba.
She’s my spirit animal and she makes the best muffins you’ll ever eat. Big, fat amazing blueberry muffins that melt in your mouth. Oh and her raisin bran muffins? TO DIE FOR. Especially with a little pat of creamy butter.
The last time I talked to my Grandmother, she told me about these peruvian chicken burgers she had when she went to Peru a few years ago. (Yep, she traveled solo!)
She said the burgers were filled with garlic and spices, topped with a spicy sauce then sandwiched between two fried plantains. Seriously, how good does that sound?! Of course, I had all intentions of making the burgers over the summer, but life got the best of me and I completely forget.
Since the warmer days are behind us (or ahead of us?), I figured it wasn’t the best idea to bring you grilled burgers. Instead I opted to bake up beautiful chicken drumsticks with the same amazing spices. Ohh la la is right.
These peruvian chicken drumsticks are marinated with yogurt, garlic, spices and fresh lime juice for a bit of tang. I like to bake them on a baking rack to ensure that the drumsticks get a little crisp.
And my most favorite part? An avocado lime dipping sauce that you’ll be putting on everything.
Want to get everything you need for this recipe? Head over to Peapod.com and get everything you need.
Okay, gotta go. It’s my birthday tomorrow… still trying to decide on a dessert. xo!
Baked Peruvian Chicken Drumsticks with Avocado Lime Dipping Sauce
Author: Monique of AmbitiousKitchen.com
- Serving size: 2 drumsticks
- Calories: 366
- Fat: 21.8g
- Carbohydrates: 7.1g
- Sugar: 3.2g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 35.5g
Recipe type: Chicken, Gluten Free, Healthy, Dinner
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 3 oz each), skin removed
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 1 lime
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon honey or organic sugar
- For the avocado lime sauce:
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and seed removed
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the marinade: In a small bowl, whisk the greek yogurt, olive oil, lime juice and garlic together.
- In a large bowl, season the chicken with the cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and sugar; use your hands to coat chicken. Pour the yogurt mixture over the top of the seasoned chicken and use a spoon to stir. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Once ready to bake preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a oven-safe rack on a large baking sheet and grease with nonstick cooking spray so that the chicken doesn’t stick to the pan. Place the drumsticks on the pan with the thicker part of the drumstick to the outside.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until cooked through.
- For the avocado lime dipping sauce:
- Add ingredients for the dipping sauce to a high powered blender of food processor and blend until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can drizzle over the top of the chicken or just dip your chicken in the sauce. I like adding a little hot sauce too!