BBQ Chicken Dip
Prep Time:10 minutes Cook Time:35 minutes Total Time:45 minutes Servings: 4
A warm melted cheese dip with plenty of BBQ sauce, chicken and hot peppers!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and shredded or diced
- 1/3 cup pickled hot peppers*, sliced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, warmed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese*, shredded
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the onion and bell pepper and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix the onion, bell pepper, chicken, pickled hot peppers, cream cheese, sour cream, 1/2 of the BBQ sauce and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Spread the mixture over the bottom of a baking dish, spread the remaining BBQ sauce over the top and sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the cheese has melted and the sides are bubbling, about 20-30 minutes, before removing from the oven and enjoying while warm!
Slow Cooker: Implement steps 1-3 placing it in the bottom of a slow cooker and cook until the cheese is nice and melted about 1-2 hours on high or 2-4 hours on low.
Option: Use sliced pickled hot peppers of choice, such as banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, etc.
Option: Replace some or all of the sour cream with more mayonnaise.
Option: Replace some or all of the mayonnaise with more sour cream.
Option: Mix all of the BBQ sauce into the dip instead of using half to form a BBQ sauce layer.
Option: Use another melty cheese like monterey jack or mozzarella, etc. (I like jalapeno cheddar for this!)
Option: Add cooked and crumbled bacon!
Option: Garnish with chopped cilantro!
Tip: You can make the whole dip the day ahead, store in the fridge and then throw it into the oven to bake just before serving. You could also cook the onion and bell pepper a day or two ahead of time to make things easier to throw together.