These Birria Tacos are supremely delicious! Melt in the mouth beef, rich in Mexican flavors, all mingling with melted cheese and wrapped in a crunchy tortilla. You have to give these a try!
Authentic Birria Tacos
Birria Tacos are a real showstopper of a meal! A lip smacking mix of sweet, sour, savory with a nice and spicy kick, just divine. The beef is cooked slowly so it’s juicy, tender and loaded with flavor. Tacos have never tasted so good! Perfect for special occasions, such as Cinco de Mayo or as a weeknight treat, plus they are gluten free!
Why You’ll Love this Birria Tacos Recipe:
- MELT IN THE MOUTH BEEF: Slow cooked to tender perfection.
- PACKED WITH FLAVOR: Made with a mix of sweet and savory ingredients, these tacos are brimming with delicious and perfectly balanced flavors.
- GREAT FOR PARTIES: These yummy tacos taste as good as they look, perfect to wow the crowd!
These are dipping tacos! Save some of the braising liquid for a delicious dipping sauce.
How to Make Birria Tacos
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Soak your Ancho and Guajilo chiles in a bowl.
- Sear your roast in a Dutch oven, then set the roast aside.
- In the pot, simmer your short ribs with the spices and chiles.
- Remove the short ribs form the pot and refrigerate the braising liquid.
- Slow cook the roast and short ribs in your Dutch oven with the remaining ingredients.
- Dip your tortillas in the braising liquid and cook in a skillet.
- Assemble the tacos, serve and enjoy!
Birria Tacos are best with two kinds of beef. I love using chuck roast and short ribs.
Birria is traditionally a deliciously rich beef stew which mixes sweet, savory and slightly spicy flavors. Birria tacos take that stew and stuff them into crispy tacos – so good!
I use dried Guajilo and Acho chiles as they give you this wonderfully smoky, fruity flavor. However you can use others. Just be aware that the spice levels and flavor will change slightly.
Typically they are found in the spice or condiment aisles.
I love using corn tortillas as they hold up well and they give you an awesome crunch!
Whether you are serving this up for a party or as a weeknight meal, you can level up with some of these yummy side dishes
Sides or no sides, these satisfying tacos are really going to please those taste buds!
- You can substitute in oxtail instead of short ribs.
- Store stewed beef and reserved braising liquid in individual airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Assembled tacos are best enjoyed fresh.
Amp up taco night with these utterly scrumptious birria tacos!
Are these tacos gluten free?
As long as you use corn tacos, this recipe is gluten free.
How spicy are birria tacos?
These tacos are medium spicy but you can dial it up by adjusting the chili powder.
What can I use instead of an immersion blender?
You can use a hand mixer, stand mixer or food processor.
Cheesy, juicy, crispy and loaded with flavor, these birria tacos are a must try. Slow cooked beef, encased in a crispy taco, with a divine dip – you will love them!
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!