This post is sponsored, written by me on behalf of Mother E essential oils, Inc. All opinions are entirely my own. This Carrot and Orange Sunrise Smoothie is made with a touch of True Joy Mother E Essential Oil. It’s a comforting winter smoothie that is healing and revitalizing. Enjoy it the familiar way, cold, or try it warm on a wintry morning.
I consider myself a newbie when it comes to essential oils. About a year ago my mother in law gifted us a diffuser for our family. It was about the same time that my son got pneumonia which resulted in a half year of sickness and recovery for our family. We used our little oil diffuser morning, noon, and night, and even in hospitals rooms. Though we got used to diffusing essential oils into the air for comfort, I really didn’t know what to do with them beyond that and much less which oil to be used for what.
Next on my journey with essential oil came the brand Mother E Oils. Their branding and line of oils was simple and more obvious to me than many others. Starting to use essential oils can be overwhelming so I especially like the collections that Mother E offers and that some of their oils have names that describe the effects rather than by the ingredient so I have some idea of what result I could get from their usage, whether its for to calm, balance, or aid with digestion, energy etc. Before this I would look at the types of oils and not have any idea what to do with them. This way of labeling at Mother E, was for me, the perfect gateway into learning about essential oils.
The Enhancers Collection is what I began with. It comes with 4 blended oils that have a variety of effects and aromas. The selection of Pure Love, Deep Gratitude, Real Hope and True Joy, can each be used to personify what you want to reflect that day. I feel it is easier to select an oil based on mood verses the type or ingredient of the oil itself. Every oil in this collection has citrus components which I find perfect for combating mid-winter blues. The oils of the Enhancers Collection are a perfect natural pick-me-up when you feel the drowsy or lackadaisical effects that cold and dark winter days often bring.
With this recipe I chose True Joy, a blend of citrus, lavender, and vanilla. While not all essential oils are recommended for consumption this oil, in a diluted form, may be consumed. See Mother E’s FAQs page for more information regarding ingesting essential oils. Note that using an essential oil in a recipe is not in any way a substitution for oil and always consult the label and manufacturer before consuming. Because essential oils are so powerful, for this smoothie I dilute one drop of the essential oil into a tablespoon of water, and then use only a teaspoon of that mixture in the final smoothie. It gave the smoothie an extra aromatic component that I’ve never had before from a smoothie, almost like a touch of bitters at the end of mixing a cocktail.
For other newbies like me, here are some of my favorite ways to use essential oils.
• Add a few drops into your shower, and let the steam and water infuse the oil into the air as you bathe.
• Combine an essential oil with a neutral oil (like coconut oil) to dilute it a bit and use this combination in a roll-on bottle to massage on the back of your neck, bottoms of your feet, and insides of your wrists.
• Dilute an oil with water and diffuse. This was definitely the easiest way to get started with essential oils. Read the descriptions of the oils to see what types of effects that they have so you use them appropriately. Then add a few drops of oil into the diffuser, some water, then plug it in and enjoy. Think of it like a candle that affects everyone in the room in a positive way. I like to use a diffuser as I’m prepping meals in the kitchen, in the morning when I’m reading or playing with my kids, and in the evening once the kids are in bed. Its also great to have in the room as you sleep, especially is someone in the family is sick.
Learn more about essential oils by staying connected with Mother E via email.
Carrot and Orange Sunrise Smoothie with Mother E Oils
A comforting winter Sunrise Smoothie with Carrot and Orange Juice and a drop of essential oil.
- 1 drop of True Joy Mother E essential oil (diluted as directed)
- juice from 1/2 orange
- 1/3 cup carrot juice
- 1 banana (frozen or fresh)
- 3 dates, pitted and halved
- 1 cup coconut milk, warm or cold (see note below)
- 1 tablespoon honey (or pure maple syrup for vegan)
- pinch of salt, cinnamon, and cloves
- Dilute 1 drop of Pure Joy Mother E essential oil into 1 tablespoon of water and set aside.
- In a blender combine orange juice, carrot juice, banana, and dates. Once the dates and banana are pureed into the juices, add in the coconut milk, honey, and spices, along with a teaspoon of the diluted oil (you don’t need the full tablespoon.) Puree in blender until smooth. Divide into two glasses and enjoy.
This smoothie is actually great cold or warm! For a warm version, heat up the coconut milk until hot before blending and use a fresh banana instead of frozen.