Chipotle Burgers are served on a toasty bun and topped with avocado, Pepper Jack cheese, and a special chipotle sauce. Guaranteed to be everyone’s new favorite grilled burger.
Chipotle Burgers take your regular hamburgers and add adobo sauce and chipotle peppers for an incredible, smoky flavor that’s made even better by some time on the grill. Oh, and don’t forget the melty pepper jack cheese, avocado, fresh tomato slices, lettuce, and the perfect chipotle sauce! Burger perfection!
This is one of those recipes that Josh goes crazy for. It’s filled with yummy spices and bold flavors that totally POP! It’s like your regular ground-beef burger patty got a fabulous new makeover that just so happens to taste amazing.
How to Make Chipotle Burgers
It’s just like making regular hamburgers with a few special extra ingredients mixed in!
- In a medium bowl, mix ground beef, minced chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix until everything is just combined–don’t over mix!
- Divvy the seasoned meat into 4 sections and form each one into a patty about ½-inch thick. I find that using damp hands works best for this step!
- Get your grill going at medium heat and place the patties directly onto the hot grill. They’ll need 3-5 minutes on each side (an internal temp of 160˚F)! Place Pepper Jack cheese (or cheese of your choice) on the tops for the last 1-2 minutes they’re on the grill so it has a bit of time to melt.
- Place generously buttered hamburger buns on the grill to toast them a bit. This will only take about a minute on the heat!
Assemble the Burgers
Now we assemble burgers: lettuce, burger patties, tomato, avocado! You can stop there or add the special chipotle sauce, which we highly recommend. It brings out the chipotle flavor even more, which is a very good thing!
To make the chipotle sauce, whisk together the plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream or mayo), lime juice, chipotle in adobo sauce, smoked paprika, and salt in a small bowl. That’s it! Spread on your burger and ENJOY!
Side Dish Suggestions
Make a couple of your favorite sides to turn this into the most perfect backyard dinner! Of course you can’t go wrong with chips, salsa, and guacamole, but here are a couple ideas for sides that go well with these burgers:
For the burgers:
- 4 hamburger buns
- Softened butter, for spreading on buns
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 chipotle peppers, from a can of chipotles in adobo, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices Pepper Jack Cheese (can use Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese)
For the chipotle sauce:
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (can use sour cream or mayonnaise)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo sauce
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Tomato slices
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
Generously butter the insides of the hamburger buns with softened butter. Set aside.
Place the ground beef in a medium bowl. Add the minced chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined, being careful to not over mix.
Divide the seasoned beef into 4 portions and form patties that are about ½-inch thick.
Preheat the grill to medium heat. Place the beef patties directly on the hot grill. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes and flip with a spatula. Cook for 3 to 5 more minutes, applying the cheese slices the last 1 to 2 minutes so it can melt. The internal temperature of beef should be 160˚F.
Place the buns, buttered side down, on the grill and grill until toasted, about 1 minute. Remove from the grill.
To make the chipotle sauce, whisk together the plain Greek yogurt, lime juice, chipotle in adobo sauce, smoked paprika, and salt in a small bowl.
To assemble the burgers, top the bottom of the buns with lettuce. Add the burger patties, tomato slices, and avocado slices. You can serve the burgers with chipotle sauce if you want to enhance the chipotle experience even more. Add the bun tops. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 613 Calories from Fat 351
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 14g70%
Vitamin A 671IU13%
Vitamin C 7mg8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Photos by Dishing Out Health
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.