Beautiful plant-based Chopped Thai Chickpea Salad with a super flavorful curry peanut dressing. Healthy, easy to make and a great way to get your veggies in!
Many of you have requested to see more of the meals I usually eat during the week. Truth is, I eat everything that I’m making for the blog.
When I don’t have recipe development days, my meals are simple and quick: think eggs and avocado toast, a quick 15 minute veggie based curry, leftover soup, of of course, a salad with anything that needs to be used up in my fridge. I don’t have time to whip up something crazy and elaborate all the time. Mostly I just want it to be nutritious, flavorful and easy to make.
Abra and I usually make chopped salads once a week; they’re honestly one of our favorite things to make for lunch because they’re simple and you get a good amount of nutrition in since it’s basically just a bunch of veggies chopped up and tossed with your favorite dressing.
This chopped Thai chickpea salad takes about 15 minutes to throw together and involves a lip-smacking good peanut butter dressing that’s infused with curry and turmeric. It’s earthy, nutty and makes me wanna do a backflip right into the bowl.
Besides the to-die-for dressing, I adore how crunchy this salad is and how after days in the fridge, the flavor is still fresh and delicious. It’s packed with red cabbage, carrots, red bell pepper, green onion, chickpeas, jalapeño, cilantro.
MEAL PREP + TRAVEL-FRIENDLY
I love throwing it in a mason jar for a lunch on the go, or packing as a travel meal when on days you have to the airport and don’t want to eat those nasty soggy sandwiches covered in plastic and stuffed with some funky lookin’ deli meat (been there before).
If you’re feeling like you want this salad to be more filling and hearty, here are a few options I suggest adding:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- serve with cooked shrimp or chicken
- add another can of chickpeas
- serve over a bed of spinach
- add sautéed tofu
- just have a bigger serving
SEE HOW TO MAKE THE SALAD:
I hope you LOVE this recipe as much as we did. Leave me know if you make it by leaving a comment below, or snapping a photo and tagging #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram. xo!
Chopped Thai Chickpea Salad with Curry Peanut Dressing
Author: Monique of AmbitiousKitchen.com
- Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 265
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 37.8g
- Sugar: 4.1g
- Fiber: 8.3g
- Protein: 10.1g
Recipe type: Lunch, Salad, Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free
- For the salad:
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots (from the bag)
- ½ small head of red cabbage, chopped (about 2 cups shredded cabbage)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- For the curry peanut butter dressing:
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons warm water, to thin dressing
- To garnish:
- Extra cilantro
- ¼ cup roasted cashews
- In a large bowl, add red bell pepper, carrot, cabbage, chickpeas, cilantro, green onion and jalapeño. Pour dressing over veggies and toss until well-combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients: peanut butter, ginger, garlic, apple cider vinegar, curry powder, cayenne pepper, and turmeric. Mix to combine. Add water to thin if necessary to make a dressing like consistency. Pour over salad and mix well to combine. Garnish with roasted cashews and cilantro. Serves 4.