Oven baked shrimp topped with flavourful golden and buttery, garlic parmesan breadcrumbs. This Crispy Baked Shrimp Scampi is easy to make with a fancy restaurant flair right at home, and takes only minutes to prepare!
Crispy Baked Shrimp Scampi
So easy to make, you won’t believe the flavours coming out of your skillet OR dish when it’s done! Simplicity seems to be my middle name lately. Especially since time is becoming more of a luxury right now in my life, and something I’m always running out of.
Sitting here on a hotel balcony staring at the ocean in a turtleneck and sweatpants, I WISH I could pull this skillet right through my screen and enjoy it again… and again… and again. How fitting it is to be beachfront with a glass of rosé, writing up a post about shrimp. It does not get any better.
This Baked Shrimp Scampi recipe has been adapted from Ina Garten, one of my favourite food women. Dying to try her recipe but scared of the amount of butter involved, I managed to cut the butter down by less than a third (maths is not my strong point), and added other flavours into the breadcrumb mixture to make sure butter is not missed in this recipe.
It wasn’t. This version still has a good amount of buttery flavour in it without being in complete fear of busting out of your jeans. Also, I’ve cut a couple of steps out of the original recipe, and created something a little more easier for those of us finding ourselves out of breath!
- Shrimp gets mixed right in your skillet or baking dish with some key ingredients: lemon juice, butter, shallots and white wine. As usual, the white wine is optional and can be replaced with chicken stock, extra lemon juice or left out completely. Up to you.
- Panko breadcrumbs are mixed through with parmesan cheese, garlic and a hint of red pepper flakes for a slight taste bud awakening. You can of course add more to suit your taste!
Crispy Baked Shrimp Scampi
Oven baked shrimp with a hint of lemon and garlic, topped with flavourful golden and buttery, garlic parmesan breadcrumbs. This Crispy Baked Shrimp Scampi is easy to make with a fancy restaurant flair right at home, and takes only minutes to prepare!
Servings: 6 people
- 1 kg (2 pounds) shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails on or off
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine (optional — sub with extra lemon juice or chicken stock
- 1 brown shallot, minced
- 1/3 cup melted butter, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or more, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley leaves
- Lemon wedges to serve
Heat oven to 220°C | 425º F. In a well-seasoned oven-proof skillet or baking dish, combine the shrimp, lemon juice, white wine, shallots, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix well until the shrimp are evenly coated
OPTIONAL: Starting from the outer edge of your skillet or dish, arrange the shrimp in a single layer towards the centre of the pan. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining melted butter, bread crumbs, garlic, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and 2 tablespoons of the chopped parsley; mix well.
Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the shrimp and bake for 12 minutes, or until hot and bubbling, and the shrimp are ‘just’ cooked through. Change oven settings to broil or grill for a further minute or so, until the top is crispy and golden.
Garnish with remaining parsley, squeeze over a drizzle of lemon juice and serve with lemon wedges.
© 2017 CAFE DELITES. All rights reserved. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.