Doughnut Strawberry Shortcake is a recipe you didn’t think you needed until now! Such a fun twist on a classic dessert by using delicious glazed yeast doughnuts as a base for juicy strawberries and silky whipped cream!
Fair warning: once you doughnuttify a recipe, you will be hooked. Consider this your official disclaimer and also an official welcome notice to your new favorite thing ever.
I love easy recipes – ones that don’t require much thought or prep-work, expensive ingredients, or laborious preparations. As we slowly edge into springtime weather, I feel like more people are having get-togethers or parties where they need something fast, easy, and impressive for their soiree menus. (Or am I totally just imagining that people have parties? Maybe America isn’t a party kinda population? Are garden parties or spring soirees only fodder for Real Housewives franchises?)
Anyway, I would totally have a springtime party if I liked people in my home or had a home with a lovely backyard situation, but neither of those are true so the imagination will have to do it for me. I did, however, share these shortcakes with a few lucky neighbors who said they were amazing and may or may not have had dreams about them since then.
I truly do struggle to call this a recipe because it is SO simple to make: just a few ingredients with the possibility of even fewer ingredients if you were to opt out of homemade whipped cream and instead use Cool Whip or the canned whipped cream. Up to you, but I am always #TeamHomemadeWhippedCream.
You can also go wild with this recipe and use different types of doughnuts as the vessel, like cake doughnuts, maple bars, or even jelly-filled for a little extra fruit flavor. Likewise, you could also change out or add new fruits like other assorted berries, exotic fruits like mangoes and banana, or cooked peaches or apples.
Whatever you end up choosing, once you have a Doughnut Strawberry Shortcake, you’re not going to want to go back to the original. Trust me!
Doughnut Strawberry Shortcake
Author: Hayley Parker, The Domestic Rebel
Recipe type: No-Bake
These Doughnut Strawberry Shortcakes are incredibly fast and easy desserts that are super impressive and more importantly, super tasty! Just a few simple ingredients create these unique and sweet no-bake treats!
- 6 glazed yeast doughnuts
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, stems removed and cut into smaller pieces
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- First, prepare the berries by adding them to a medium bowl and sprinkling the granulated white sugar over the top, tossing them to coat. Allow to set for 10 minutes so they sweeten and some juices are released. Set aside.
- Second, make the whipped cream: In the bowl of a stand mixer, add in the heavy whipping cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and beat with the whisk attachment on HIGH speed for about 5-7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble: Using a serrated bread knife, carefully slice each doughnut in half crosswise, creating a top and bottom half. Top the bottoms of the doughnuts with some of the strawberries and juice, then dollop or pipe on whipped cream. Top with more berries, followed by the doughnut “lid” or top. Repeat with remaining doughnuts until you have 6 shortcakes. Serve immediately.
Who doesn’t love having an easy, impressive and delicious recipe in their arsenal, especially this springy one!
Want more berry goodness?
Have a super sweet day!