Ingredients: 2 cups all purpose flour,¼ cup whole wheat flour,1 tsp baking soda,¼ tsp. salt,1 ½ tsp. ground ginger,2 tsp. cinnamon,¼ tsp. ground cloves,½ tsp. black pepper,½ tsp. fresh ground nutmeg,¼ tsp. ground allspice,1 cup dark brown sugar,1/3 cup blackstrap molasses,¼ cup apple sauce,1 tsp. vanilla extract,¼ tsp. maple extract,1 Tbsp. chai concentrate (optional),2 large egg whites,½ cup candied ginger,½ cup granulated sugar (for coating),1 tsp. cinnamon (for coating)
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine brown sugar, molasses, apple sauce, vanilla extract, maple extract, chai concentrate. Beat with an electric mixer for about four minutes, until smooth.
- Add egg whites and beat for another minute until well combined.
- Slowly whisk in dry ingredients and beat until completely incorporated. Stir in candied ginger. Chill dough for at least one hour. (I chilled mine overnight)
- Preheat oven to 35
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or grease with cooking spray.
- Combine granulated sugar with cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Scoop one tablespoon of cookie dough and place in the shallow bowl. Using your hands, coat the dough with the cinnamon sugar and shape into balls.
- Place cookie dough on prepared cookie sheet leaving about 3 inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
- Makes about 20 cookies.