Flourless black bean muffins that taste like a delicious, cakey brownie! These easy, fiber packed muffins are gluten free and the perfect healthy treat.
What I’ve changed significantly about my diet over the past few years, is cutting back on refined sweeteners. I’ve adapted a new mentality about really nourishing my body; this means I pick nutritious food over empty calorie or sugar-packed sweets.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Sounds easy, but it can be actually quite challenging. Turning down french fries when you are in a relationship with ketchup is never fun and it’s even more difficult to say no to Reese’s. That’s why I create my own versions of treats (like these peanut butter cups) made with ingredients I feel good about.
Of course, everything in moderation. I’ll take a real Reese’s peanut butter cup and a slice of pie every now and then. Overall though, I’ve become more mindful of what I’m putting into my body plus how it will nourish and make me feel after I’ve eaten it.
So check out the ingredients that make up these brownie muffins:
A splash of coffee (it adds depth and flavor)!
And of course, chocolate chips (DUH)!
Mix everything up and you end up with black bean brownies. In muffin form.
Yep, I said it: Beans in your brownies. Brownie in a muffin. Totally a thing. Totally amazing. Trust me… please?
These are my new favorite late night nibble. Lots of protein, fiber, iron, and good for you nutrients. Full of chocolate love. And you will never ever be able to tell that they’re made with black beans — PROMISE.
If you make this recipe or anything else from Ambitious Kitchen, be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram so I can see your creations! To keep up to date with posts and behind the scenes info, follow AK on BlogLovin’, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. xo!
Flourless Black Bean Brownie Muffins
Author: Monique of AmbitiousKitchen.com
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 159
- Fat: 7.3g
- Carbohydrates: 21.1g
- Sugar: 12.5g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 4.8g
Recipe type: Muffins, Dessert, Healthy, Dairy Free, Gluten Free
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 eggs*
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (or sub honey)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee, optional to enhance chocolate flavor
- 1/2 cup high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder (or use cacao powder)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with baking liners and spray the inside of each liner with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place black beans and 1 egg in food processor and process until beans are well blended. Add two other eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and coffee; process again until smooth. Next add in cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; process once more until smooth. Next fold in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips evenly among the tops of each muffin batter. Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffins comes out clean. Place on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove muffins from tin and transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Keep muffins for a day at room temperature, then transfer to fridge and place in an airtight container.
*Use 4 eggs instead of 3 if you’d like a more cake like consistency.