These Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes are light and tender made with simple ingredients. Top them with butter and maple syrup for the best classic, homemade pancakes ever!
Have You Ever Made Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes?
If not, get ready because today’s the day! Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes are literally only take minutes to make, and are perfect for a weekend brunch, a weekday breakfast or even breakfast for dinner!
My kids love pancakes, and I have some pretty great recipes that I make on the regular around here. My Brown Sugar Pancakes are a HUGE favorite, with a close second being my Blueberry Pancakes…and of course on Birthdays we have…you guessed it…Birthday Cake Pancakes! BUT today we’re taking it back to basics, or should I say classics. Buttermilk Pancakes are really the best of them. Soft and tender on the inside with a light, ever-so-slight crisp, buttery edge. They’re the classic diner pancake, and now you can make them in your own kitchen in minutes!
I could go on and on about this pancakes recipe, but really, let’s just get down to it, shall we? I mean minimal ingredients, quick cook time, and topped with butter checks just about every box in my favorite food checklist!
What Ingredients Do You Need For Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes?
Like I said, this recipe requires minimal, everyday ingredients…most that you probably have in your kitchen right now!
- Flour: Just good old all purpose flour works best for these pancakes! If you would like, you could even use half all purpose and half whole wheat flour to give them a nutty flavor and a few more health benefits!
- Sugar: A little granulated sugar adds to the flavor of these pancakes! You could certainly use brown sugar if you would like!
- Salt, Baking Soda, and Baking Powder: The salt adds a little flavor, and the baking soda and powder (combined with the buttermilk) are what make these fluffy!
- Eggs: Use large sized eggs for this recipe, and if you have an egg allergy you could even use 1/2 cup applesauce in place of the eggs. Generally in baking, 1/4 cup applesauce = 1 large egg!
- Vanilla: This is optional, but I love adding vanilla into my pancakes to add a subtle yummy flavor.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk makes these pancakes fluffy and tender.
What If You Don’t Have Buttermilk?
No problem! You can easily make a buttermilk substitute by combining 1 scant cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of either white vinegar or lemon juice. Just let the mixture sit for a few minutes before using!
Can You Freeze Pancakes?
Freezing pancakes is great when you are meal prepping. You can easily double (or triple) this recipe and have pancakes for the week! CTp freeze the pancakes you:
- Cool the pancakes completely. Place them in between layers of parchment paper in an airtight container or zip-top bag.
- To reheat the pancakes place them on an ungreased baking sheet and into a 375°F oven. Heat for 5-6 minutes, or until warm.
- Alternately you can reheat the pancakes in the microwave from frozen. Just heat 3-4 pancakes at a time on high for 45 seconds, or until warm.
What Can I Top These Homemade Pancakes With?
Buttermilk Pancakes are the perfect vehicle for tons of toppings! Beyond butter and maple syrup here are a few ideas that we love:
- Fresh Fruit
- Whipped Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Chocolate Sauce
- Caramel Sauce