Right after Sidney was born, Tony and I were on a real baking kick. Actually I take that back, when aren’t I baking?
Anyway, every week we baked a different bread to have for breakfast. It all started with my almond flour banana bread, which in turn, inspired this gorgeous healthy blueberry bread that tastes just like a blueberry muffin aka BLUEBERRY MUFFIN BREAD. And what’s even better is that it’s made with almond flour to keep it both grain free and gluten free.
Ingredients in healthy blueberry bread
This healthy blueberry bread is simple to make and is gluten free, grain free, dairy free and paleo. Kiddos and adults will love this one! Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Unsweetened applesauce: this keeps the bread super moist without having to add any oil. Be sure to grab the unsweetened kind! I have ONLY tested this bread with applesauce, so I can’t say if any subs will work.
- Eggs: you’ll need 3. I haven’t tested this with an egg substitute but let me know if you give it a try.
- Maple syrup: to naturally sweeten the bread. You’ll only be using 3 tablespoons for the entire loaf.
- Almond extract: for a little extra almond flavor that makes this bread so yummy and unique. If you don’t have any feel free to leave it out or use vanilla extract.
- Almond flour: you’ll want to use a fine blanched almond flour for this recipe. Be sure to pack the almond flour in your measuring cup just like you would with brown sugar!
- Flaxseed meal: not only does flaxseed meal add a nice nutty flavor and texture to this bread, it also is packed with fiber, high quality plant based protein and omega-3 fatty acids. If you’re out of flaxseed meal, you can try using coconut flour or oat flour as a sub, but please know that these are only suggestions.
- Baking soda: to help the bread rise and bake properly.
- Salt: don’t skip it, it adds flavor.
- Blueberries: the ultimate mix in to make almond flour blueberry bread! Feel free to use fresh or frozen blueberries.
How to make healthy blueberry bread
- This dairy free and gluten free blueberry bread is SO easy to make. First mix all the wet ingredients in a large bowl: applesauce, eggs, maple syrup and almond extract.
- Next add the dry ingredients to the same bowl: almond flour, flaxseed meal, baking soda and salt. Carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Add the batter to a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. And bake for for 45-60 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool the bread for 10 minutes in the pan, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into 12 slices and spread a little butter on top. Yum!
How to store blueberry bread
This healthy blueberry bread should be kept well-covered in foil or plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3 days, then I recommend transferring to the fridge or freezer.
How to freeze blueberry bread
This gluten free blueberry bread freezes well! Simply wrap in plastic, then tightly in foil and finally place in a reusable bag or freezer friendly bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature once you are ready to eat. You can also freeze individual slices for a quick on the go treat!
Personally, we love to serve this blueberry bread with a little butter and a drizzle of honey + sprinkle of sea salt, but Tony and I couldn’t’ stop dreaming up the other possibilities for this bread: how about a little hint of lemon with lemon zest plus the lemon glaze from these cookies on top?!
Or make it even more delicious with crunchy poppyseeds and a little extra hint of almond extract for an almond poppyseed blueberry bread. The options are endless. I can’t wait to hear what you guys think!
If you make this healthy blueberry bread, please let me know by leaving a comment and rating the recipe below. I’d love to hear from you and it helps encourage others to make the recipe too! xo
Good Morning Almond Flour Blueberry Muffin Bread
Gorgeous almond flour blueberry bread that tastes just like a blueberry muffin! Made in just one bowl and naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup. This easy healthy blueberry bread is also gluten free, grain free, dairy free and paleo and makes a wonderful breakfast or afternoon snack! Options to add lemon zest and poppyseeds for a fun, spring twist.
pure maple syrup (or sub honey)
packed fine blanched almond flour
fresh or frozen blueberries
- Optional: 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- Optional: 1 tablespoon lemon zest
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray to prevent sticking.
In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, eggs, pure maple syrup and almond extract until well combined. Add in the almond flour, flaxseed meal, baking soda and salt. Use a wooden spoon to combine. Fold in the blueberries.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. Bake for 45 minutes-1 hour or until the tester comes out clean in the middle of the bread. Cool bread for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely. Once cool, cut into 12 slices. Top with butter and enjoy!
Feel free to add in zest of 1 lemon for an infused lemon blueberry bread. You could also add a yummy lemon glaze from these lemon cookies on top.
Servings: 12 servings
Serving size: 1 slice
Saturated fat: 1.4g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats