Hummus Toast is easy to make as a quick breakfast, lunch, dinner or healthy snack. It’s totally customizable with your favorite toppings. And as you can imagine, it’s also crazy delicious.
Move over, avocados. There’s a new toast in town. ♡
Guys, it’s time we talk about hummus toast!
As you may have seen on Instagram, I’ve been having a bit of a moment with hummus toast lately. Somewhat amazingly, the idea had actually never occurred to me to spread my favorite creamy dip on toasted bread until we spotted it on the menu at our favorite little neighborhood breakfast spot here in Barcelona. But once we saw hummus and toast in the same sentence, both Barclay and I were like — “of course.” Sure enough, we were instant fans, and have been happily hummus-ing all of our toast ever since.
So today, I thought it was high time to share a few of our fave variations with you! As you can imagine, the options for how to customize your hummus toast are deliciously limitless. From choosing your favorite kind of bread (any kind will do), to your favorite kind of hummus (homemade or store-bought, you pick!), to whatever combo of sweet or savory, easy or elaborate, healthy or decadent toppings you might be craving — when it comes to crafting the perfect hummus toast, you do you.
I’ve included eight of our favorite ingredient combos here below. And we can vouch that they taste great anytime of day. So if you’re looking for a quick and healthy new idea for breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacking, grab your favorite bread and hummus and give it a try! If you’re at all like us, I have a feeling you’re going to be instant hummus toast fans too.
Hummus Toast Ingredients:
The main ingredients in hummus toast are easy. You simply need:
- Bread: Any kind will do, toasted to your desired level of crispiness.
- Hummus: Whip up a batch of homemade hummus or pick up your favorite variety at the store, whatever works!
Then comes the fun part — toppings! Often we just sprinkle ours with a few shakes of salt and pepper (or everything bagel seasoning), plus maybe a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten things up. But if you would like to take things to the next level, see below for eight of our favorite topping combos.
How To Make Hummus Toast:
To make hummus toast, simply:
- Toast up your bread: Either in the toaster or toaster oven, if you’re making a small batch. Or if you happen to be making a large batch of hummus toast for a party, you can arrange slices of bread in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast them up in the oven.
- Spread on the hummus: Next, spread on your desired amount of hummus.
- Sprinkle on the toppings: Whatever you may be craving, then…
- Enjoy! Hummus toast is definitely best enjoyed right away. So dig in!
Hummus Toast Variations:
As I said, the sky’s the limit with possible ingredient variations here. But some of our favorites include…
- “Everything” Hummus Toast
- Avocado Hummus Toast
- Elote Hummus Toast
- Tomato Basil Hummus Toast
- Lox Hummus Toast
- Fried (or Poached) Egg Hummus Toast
- Mediterranean Hummus Toast
- Banana Honey Hummus Toast
Here’s how to make them!
“Everything” Hummus Toast:
- everything bagel seasoning (either homemade or store-bought)
- optional extras: sprinkle of flaky sea salt and a squeeze of lemon juice
Avocado Hummus Toast:
- fresh avocado slices, chopped fresh cilantro, squeeze of lime/lemon juice, sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes, flaky sea salt
- optional extras: thinly sliced red onion, jalapeño
Elote (Mexican Street Corn) Hummus Toast:
- elote dip (I used a simplified version with just roasted corn, queso fresco, fresh cilantro, red onion, lime juice and chili powder)
- optional extras: jalapeño
Tomato Basil Hummus Toast:
- fresh tomato slices, fresh basil, balsamic glaze, salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- optional extras: sliced fresh mozzarella
Lox Hummus Toast:
- lox or smoked salmon slices, capers, thinly-sliced red onion, squeeze of lemon juice, fresh dill and/or chives, salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- optional extras: thinly-sliced cucumber, cream cheese
Fried Egg Hummus Toast:
- fried egg (or poached egg), chives, salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- optional extras: hot sauce, avocado
Mediterranean Hummus Toast:
- chopped cucumber, chopped tomatoes, chopped olives, chopped fresh parsley, crumbled feta cheese, squeeze of lemon juice, salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- optional extras: chopped red onion
Banana Honey Hummus Toast:
- sliced banana, honey or maple syrup, sprinkle of ground cinnamon
- optional extras: thinly-sliced apples, chopped walnuts (or bonus — caramelize those bananas!)
Happy toasting, everyone!
Yield: 1 serving
Hummus Toast is easy to make as a quick breakfast, lunch, dinner or healthy snack. It’s totally customizable with your favorite toppings (see ideas above). And as you can imagine, it’s also crazy delicious.
- 1 slice of bread, toasted
- hummus, homemade or store-bought
- your desired toppings (see ideas above)
- Spread your desired amount of hummus on a slice of toasted bread. Sprinkle with your desired toppings (see ideas above) and enjoy!
Difficulty: EasyCategory: Quick
All images and text ©
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #gimmesomeoven. I’d love to see what you cook!