What are some of the key ingredients used in making a delicious vegan moussaka dish?
- 2 large eggplants, sliced into rounds
- 4 large potatoes, sliced into rounds
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Brush the eggplant and potato slices with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spices, tomatoes, lentils, and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish, layer the eggplant, potato, and tomato mixture until all ingredients are used up.
- Sprinkle the top with nutritional yeast and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve the moussaka hot with a sprinkle of fresh parsley on top.
Enjoy this delicious taste of Greece with friends and family!