When you need real comfort food with minimal kitchen time, this Instant Pot Meatloaf is just what you’ve been looking for. Topped with a classic ketchup sauce, this all-American favorite cooks up easily in the Instant Pot! You’ll love the rich, aromatic flavors and super-fast cook time!
Easiest Ever Instant Pot Meatloaf
Even during hot summer months, sometimes you just want a hearty, comforting dinner. And meatloaf is a total classic! My savory, all-beef version is tender and flavorful, thanks to a robust blend of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, and sweet grated carrots. It’s also easy to put together, and cooks up super-quick in an Instant Pot!
WHY MAKE MEATLOAF IN AN INSTANT POT?
I’m a big fan of set-it-and-forget-it cooking. I’m also a big fan of saving time! So, natch, I’m a big fan of Instant Pot recipes!
I especially love using my Instant Pot in the summer because, it allows me to create hearty, filling, homemade foods like meatloaf, without heating up my kitchen. During the cold winter months, sure — I’ll fire up the oven and enjoy the extra warmth. But, from July to September… um, not so much.
Using the Instant Pot is very simple, too, which is great. All you have to do is mix up the meatloaf, form it into a round, and cook on high pressure for about 25 minutes. Release the pressure for 10 minutes, and you’re done!
For the Meatloaf:
- Oil: Just a bit, for sauteing the veggies.
- Carrots: shred or grate your carrots finely. You can also purchase pre-shredded carrots.
- Yellow Onion: Finely chop your onion.
- Garlic: Mince the garlic, or put it through a garlic press.
- Ketchup: Feel free to use a keto or sugar-free version. I use this Sugar Free Ketchup.
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Dijon Mustard: You can also use honey mustard, spicy mustard, or plain mustard. Each one will give a slightly different flavor profile.
- Salt and Pepper
- Panko: You can use regular, or use my favorite pork rind Panko crumbs for a low-carb option.
- Ground Beef: Using leaner beef will result in less grease, but beef with a higher fat content is also fine!
- Beef Broth: I use low-sodium, but you can substitute regular beef broth, vegetable broth, or even water.
For the Glaze:
- Light Brown Sugar
- Dijon Mustard
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT MEATLOAF
- Saute the Veggies: Heat oil in a 6-quart Instant Pot using the “SAUTE” function. Add the carrots and onions and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook about 20 seconds more. Set veggies aside.
- Mix Up the Meatloaf Ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked and slightly cooled vegetables, and then the crumbs, stirring until well combined. Finally, add the beef and combine the mixture with your hands.
- Form the Meatloaf and Place in Instant Pot: Shape the meatloaf mixture into a round that will fit into the Instant Pot. Place on a large piece of aluminum foil. Fold and crimp the edges of the foil up to create a “pan” with tall sides. Pour broth or water into the bottom of the Instant Pot, add the Instant Pot trivet, and place the meatloaf on top of the trivet.
- Cook the Meatloaf and Prepare Glaze: Lock the IP lid and cook the meatloaf using high pressure for 25 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Glaze and Broil the Meatloaf: Carefully remove the cooked meatloaf from the Instant Pot, lifting it out by the aluminum foil. Transfer the loaf to a baking sheet, top with glaze, and place under a preheated broiler for about 4 minutes, to set the glaze.
- Serve and Enjoy!
TIPS FOR THE BEST IP MEATLOAF
Follow these tips for the tastiest Instant Pot meatloaf!
- Think Tall: Since meatloaf usually creates a lot of liquid as it cooks, make sure that your foil container has tall sides to prevent spills.
- Double Up, Buttercup: You can add cut-up potatoes, turnips, and/or carrots to the bottom of the Instant Pot under the trivet. When the time is up and the pressure is all released, remove the meatloaf and mash the veggies for an instant side dish!
- Safety First: The internal temperature of the cooked meatloaf should be 160˚F. If it doesn’t come to temperature after cooking in the Instant Pot, you can brush with glaze and bake at 350˚ a further 10-15 minutes until it reaches the correct temperature. There is no need to broil it after baking.
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT LEFTOVERS
- To Freeze: Wrap leftover portions of meatloaf tightly in freezer paper or plastic wrap. Then seal in a freezer bag, pushing as much air as possible out of the bag before sealing.
- To Refrigerate: Cover well and store meatloaf in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- To Reheat: You can reheat meatloaf by baking, covered, at 350˚F until heated through. You can also reheat slices by placing them in a lightly oiled skillet, covering, and cooking on low to medium heat until heated through.
More Meatloaf Recipes
Tools Used in this Recipe
Instant Pot Meatloaf
A savory, all-beef meatloaf recipe with a sweet ketchup glaze, made in an Instant Pot.
Servings: 8 slices
Calories: 264 kcal
For the Meatloaf:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ketchup, (use sugar free ketchup, if possible)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup pork rind breadcrumbs or regular plain Panko crumbs
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth, or water
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup ketchup, (use sugar free ketchup, if possible)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Press SAUTE on a 6-quart Instant Pot and heat up the vegetable oil.
Add carrots and onions and cook for 4 minutes, or until softened.
Stir in garlic and cook for 20 seconds, or until fragrant. Turn off the IP and let the veggies slightly cool.
In the meantime, combine eggs and milk in a large mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
Continue to whisk in the ketchup, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
Remove cooked vegetable mixture from the Instant Pot insert and stir it into the milk mixture.
To the milk mixture add breadcrumbs and stir until everything is thoroughly incorporated.
Add ground beef, and using clean hands, mix it all together until combined.
Transfer the ground beef mixture to a large piece of foil and shape it into a round loaf, sizing it to fit the Instant Pot trivet.
Gather and crimp the edges of the foil around the loaf, shaping it into a “loaf pan”. Make sure the foil comes up high enough so that the juices don’t spill over into the pot while it’s cooking.
Add beef broth or water to the Instant Pot.
Place the trivet inside the Instant Pot, with the handles up. Place meatloaf on top of trivet.
Lock the lid and set to Pressure Cook on HIGH for 25 minutes.
When time is up, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes.
While the meatloaf is cooking, prepare the glaze by combining the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard in a small mixing bowl.
Preheat the oven to BROIL.
Unlock the Instant Pot and remove the lid.
Grabbing onto the foil, carefully take the meatloaf out of the IP and transfer it to a baking sheet.
Spoon and brush the ketchup glaze over the meatloaf. Broil in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the glaze is set.
Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes. Cut and serve.
NET CARBS: 10 g
Instant Pot Meatloaf
Amount Per Serving
Calories 264 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 5g25%
Vitamin A 1175IU24%
Vitamin C 2mg2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.