Sweet Potato Casserole (Lightened Up) with a cool trick to cook your sweet potatoes in a QUARTER amount of time for last minute rushed preparation!
If you’re ANYTHING like me, last minute is your middle name. I get you. You get me. We’re on the same page. And if you prefer the taste of food made from scratch instead of canned foods, but seem to never have the time to wait around an oven for to an hour and a half, or over a stove for half an hour, OR if you CAN’T be bothered peeling and chopping because WHO has time for that? Then this last minute recipe is for you.
And in true ‘me’ fashion, I’m posting this recipe for you….totally last minute. See where I’m going?
So, how does one prepare sweet potatoes in a 10-minute time frame?
The microwave. Now HOLD ON. Before you go rolling your eyes at me, this is a trick I use all the time, and it has never failed me. Not ever. When I want sweet potatoes ready — like, a NOW-type-of-situation — I turn to my trustworthy microwave. If you’ve been following me for a while, you may remember my mentioning it in this Chicken Fajita Stuffed Sweet Potatoes recipe.
How does one do this? You simply wrap your sweet potatoes in one piece of paper towel > microwave on high settings for 8 minutes > remove carefully from microwave and unwrap (being careful of the steam that will escape from inside the paper towels) > pierce all over with a fork > wrap again > microwave for a further 2 minutes until soft (if the centres are still a little hard, don’t worry they will continue to cook in the oven later).
Now, if you’re not into microwaves, I’ve included an oven method in the recipe instructions.
In the meantime, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of my US readers!
If you’re on the look out for more sides: try these:
NEED A TURKEY RECIPE?
NEED A DESSERT?
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CAFE DELITES NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE FRESH RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #cafedelites on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW CAFE DELITES ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Last Minute Sweet Potato Casserole (Lightened Up)
Sweet Potato Casserole (Lightened Up) with a cool trick to cook your sweet potatoes in a QUARTER amount of time for last minute preparation!
Author: Karina – Cafe Delites
Serves: 8 (as a side dish)
FOR THE SWEET POTATOES:
- Cooking oil spray
- 4 cups cooked, peeled and mashed sweet potatoes (*See Notes)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (or a natural granulated sweetener)
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- ¼ cup light butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- salt to taste (abut ½ teaspoon)
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup crushed pecans (blitz in a magic bullet or food processor for a smoother crumb)
- Preheat oven to 175°C | 350°F. Lightly spray a 13 x 9–inch baking dish with cooking oil spray (or grease with a light coating of butter); set aside.
FOR THE SWEET POTATOES:
- Place mashed sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl; add the sugar (or sweetener), milk, butter and vanilla, eggs and salt. Mix well to combine. Pour into prepared baking dish.
FOR THE TOPPING:
- Combine flour, brown sugar, butter, pecans and salt. Mix well to form crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the sweet potatoes. Bake for 25 minutes or just until golden.
- Change oven settings to broil (or grill), and broil for 5-10 minutes, until the top has crisped a little and browned. Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes to set before serving.
Fast MICROWAVE Method:
Wrap 2 large sweet potatoes in one piece of paper towel each. Microwave on high settings for 8 minutes. Remove carefully from microwave and unwrap (being careful of the steam that will escape from inside the paper towels). Pierce all over with a fork, wrap again and microwave for a further 2 minutes until soft (if the centres are still a little hard, don’t worry they will continue to cook in the oven later).
Slow Roast OVEN Method:
Preheat oven to 220°C | 430°F. Spray a baking tray/sheet with nonstick spray and arrange 2 large sweet potatoes the tray. Roast for one hour in the oven, or until soft (check them after 40 minutes, pierce with a fork, and continue roasting if needed).
© 2016, Karina. All rights reserved. CAFE DELITES. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to share this recipe, please provide a link back to this post for the original recipe.