This Mardi Gras Pound Cake is simple, festive, and most importantly: DELICIOUS! Made with an easy shortcut, it tastes homemade and is perfect for your Mardi Gras festivities!
I have never been to New Orleans, but it is at the top of my list for North American destinations. It just seems like the coolest place with the best food, drinks, and entertainment, doesn’t it? I mean, who doesn’t love a hurricane cocktail or some beignets? I would like to meet that person and force-feed them beignets until they agree with me.
In high school I took French classes and every year we’d celebrate Mardi Gras in class with a big party. We never really had authentic Cajun/Creole food (teenagers in California aren’t well-versed with regional Southern food) but I love that we all celebrated with fun masks and Mardi Gras beads. Someone would usually bring in cupcakes adorned with yellow, green, and purple sprinkles to make it at least somewhat festive.
That’s exactly what I did with this Mardi Gras Pound Cake! It starts with Krusteaz’s Meyer Lemon Pound Cake Mix which is INCREDIBLE. If you’ve never tried it before, it tastes like you’ve been slaving in the kitchen all day juicing lemons with a bright, zippy flavor in a moist, tender cake. All you have to do to make this festive Mardi Gras cake is simply make the cake batter, divide it evenly into three separate bowls, and dye each bowl a Mardi Gras color: one yellow, one green, and one purple.
Then you’ll just layer the colored batters into a greased loaf pan and gently swirl them together with a knife. The key is to only swirl just a little bit – don’t overdo it or else the colors may get muddied and it won’t be as vibrant.
After that, you just have to bake it up, let it cool (the hardest part!), and glaze it with the mix that’s included in the box! I added some festive jimmies on top, because who doesn’t love sprinkles!?
Moist, lemony, and utterly delicious: I just adore this Mardi Gras Pound Cake!
Mardi Gras Lemon Pound Cake
Author: Hayley Parker, The Domestic Rebel
Recipe type: Cakes/Cupcakes
This Mardi Gras Pound Cake is ultra festive, super moist and tender with a bright, zippy lemon flavor and an addictive glaze on top!
- One package Krusteaz Meyer Lemon Pound Cake Mix
- ¾ cup water
- 10 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons water for glaze
- Yellow, green and purple gel food coloring
- Yellow, green and purple sprinkles or jimmies
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 8×4-inch loaf pan.
- Stir together water, melted butter, the egg and the Krusteaz Meyer Lemon Pound Cake Mix until blended.
- Divide batter evenly among three bowls and tint each bowl a different color: one bowl yellow, one bowl green, and one bowl purple.
- Spoon the batter one color at a time into the prepared pan, layering and alternating the colors so each slice will have a new variation. Gently swirl 1-3 times with a butter knife. Be careful not to over-swirl as this will result in muddied colors.
- Bake 38-42 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely before glazing.
- To glaze, mix the enclosed glaze packet with 2 Tablespoons water. Pour glaze over the top of the cooled cake and immediately top with sprinkles. Serve.
I love this festive cake!!
Have a super sweet day!