Ingredients: 2 pounds sour cherries, pitted,2 tablespoons cornstarch,4 cups all-purpose flour,3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided,3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream,1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice,1/2 cup toasted pecans,1/4 cup turbinado sugar,1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into ½- inch cubes,1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract,2/3 tablespoon cup plus 2 cold water, divided
- Add butter to flour mixture, pulsing until mixture is crumbly, approximately 30 seconds.With the food processor running,gradually add 2/3 cup cold water, in a slow steady stream, through lid opening until mixture forms a ball. Flatten dough into 2 disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 pastry disk to a 1/8-inch thickness. Fit dough into 12 (2-1/2-inch) mini pie plates. Trim dough around the edges. Freeze until dough is firm, approximately 10 minutes.Prick the bottoms and sides of dough with a fork.
- Bake until golden, 6 to 8 minutes.In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons cold water, stirring until mixture is blended.In a large saucepan, combine cherries, cornstarch mixture, remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat until cherries are soft and mixture is thick.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla, stirring to combine.On a lightly floured surface, roll remaining pastry disk to a 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut dough into very thin (1/8 to 1/4-inch-wide) strips. Arrange enough dough strips vertically side by side to achieve at least a 2-1/2-inch width. Pull back halfway every other vertical strip, and place a strip horizontally across remaining vertical strips. Return to their original positions the vertical strips that were pulled back, and pull back the other vertical strips.
- Place another strip horizontally across remaining vertical strips as close as possible to first horizontal strip. Continue to tightly weave 1 horizontal strip at a time into the vertical strips, working out form the center to make at least a 2-1/2-x-2-1/2-inch lattice top for each mini pie. Using a spatula, carefully transfer lattice tops to prepared pie plates.Using a knife, trim the edges. Gently press edge of lattice tops to seal.
- Brush top and edges of dough with cream.
- Sprinkle the top of each pie with 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar.
- Bake until crusts are golden, 18 to 24 minutes.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.