This refreshing, gorgeous, classic negroni recipe is easy to make with three simple ingredients.
Our week of summery cocktail recipes continues here on the blog today with the bold, crisp, vibrant drink that always steals the spotlight at a backyard happy hour…
I’ve been fan of this classic Italian cocktail for years, in part because I think they are simply gorgeous, with the colorful orange peel contrasting with that striking red Campari. But mostly I’ve loved negronis because they are refreshingly not very sweet, thanks to the bitter Campari and gin balancing with the sweet vermouth. Which makes them the perfect cocktail for a cool aperetif, or sipping slowly long into warm summer evenings.
The recipe is also quick and easy to memorize, with equal parts of its three ingredients. So since the official annual Negroni Week kicks off on Monday, I thought I would bump this recipe back to the top of the blog so that we can all raise a glass to celebrate. Let’s make some negronis!
To make a classic negroni cocktail, you will need equal parts of these three ingredients:
- Campari: an herby, fruity, bitter Italian liqueur
- Gin: any kind will do
- Red Vermouth: sweet or semi-sweet
Then a negroni is also traditionally served with an orange peel, which you can make by simply running a vegetable peeler or knife around a fresh orange, and then giving it a twist (see below).
How To Make A Negroni Cocktail:
To make a negroni, simply:
- Combine the Campari, gin and vermouth. You can either stir or shake them together in a cocktail shaker.
- Prep your glass. Fill a small cocktail class with ice, then run your orange peel around the rim of the glass for extra flavor.
- Pour the cocktail. Pour the mixture over the ice.
- Garnish. Place the orange peel on top, or nestle it into the side of the drink, then…
See? So lovely!
Again, be sure to check out our other new cocktail recipes on the blog if you are looking for some summer sipping inspiration. But otherwise, I wish you a happy Negroni Week ahead, and cheers!
Yield: 1 serving
A simple recipe for a classic negroni cocktail.
- 1 ounce Campari
- 1 ounce gin
- 1 ounce sweet or semi-sweet red vermouth
- orange peel
- Combine Campari, gin and vermouth in a cocktail shaker, and stir to combine.
- Run the orange peel around the rim of a glass filled with ice. Pour the cocktail over the ice, and garnish with the orange peel.
All images and text ©
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #gimmesomeoven. I’d love to see what you cook!