Prepared with cabbage, ground beef, and rice, this one pan dinner is so simple and healthy! Full of delicious veggies, tender ground meat and Asian inspired flavor, our Skillet Egg Roll in a Bowl is sure to become a family favorite!
Easy Deconstructed Egg Rolls
I remember when Egg Roll In A Bowl first became an internet phenomenon. Like deconstructed cabbage rolls, which is something that I grew up on – as well as deconstructed stuffed peppers soup – the idea is to take all the work out of the beloved dish, but still have the same old wonderful taste.
What a great idea, right? Everyone loves egg rolls, but if you’ve ever made them by hand, you know how time consuming it can be! And, I mean, don’t get me wrong, I still LOVE egg rolls but, I honestly prefer whipping up this easy, tasty skillet version, full of flavor and healthy veggies.
That’s right, this deconstructed egg roll recipe takes all the delicious flavors of an egg roll and brings them together in a hearty skillet meal that’s super easy to make, especially on a busy weeknight. I think you guys will love it!
What You’ll Need
These ingredients are all you need for a tasty egg roll in a bowl! Feel free to add or swap in all your favorite veggies, from red peppers to broccoli (broccoli slaw anyone?) to mushrooms. It’s all flexible!
- Olive Oil: For sautéing. I use light olive oil because it takes the heat better.
- Onion: Finely dice one small onion. I typically use yellow onions, but any onions are fine.
- Fresh Garlic: You’ll need two cloves of fresh garlic, minced.
- Meat: This recipe uses 1 pound of ground meat. You can use lean ground beef, ground turkey, ground pork or ground chicken.
- Salt & Pepper: To taste.
- Coleslaw Veggies: I like to use pre-packaged coleslaw veggies with cabbage and matchstick carrots. You can also make your own! Checkit ? Classic Coleslaw.
- Rice: Have on hand 2 cups of your favorite cooked rice. Brown, white, jasmine, basmati, etc. If staying away from those carbs, skip the rice.
- Peanut Sauce: This delicious Asian sauce is available at most grocery stores.
- Water: To help the veggies steam, you’ll need about ¼ cup of water.
- Soy Sauce: This recipe uses 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce. Tamari or coconut aminos also work.
- Cilantro, Scallions, & Lime Wedges: For serving.
How To Make an Egg Roll in a Bowl
This one-pan recipe comes together in a snap, especially if you buy your veggies pre-chopped or use a food processor to prep them.
- Sauté Onion & Garlic: Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onions to the heated oil and cook until just softened. Stir in the garlic.
- Cook Meat: Add the ground meat, season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes. The meat should be completely browned. Drain any grease and return the skillet to the heat.
- Cook Cabbage & Remaining Ingredients: Add the coleslaw to the meat and cook for 4 minutes. Stir in the cooked rice, peanut sauce, water, and soy sauce; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Let it simmer for 5 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender.
- Enjoy! Taste the dish and adjust salt as needed. Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
You can do a lot with this basic recipe, from adding ingredients to changing up the sauces. I’ve compiled a few tasty ideas for making it your own. Enjoy!
- Saucy! Feel free to replace the peanut sauce with your favorite stir-fry sauce, such as General Tso’s, Teriyaki, Kung Pao, Szechuan, or classic stir-fry. You can also spice things up with some sriracha or sweet chili sauce!
- Meatless Option: This is a great recipe to adapt for tofu, shrimp, or just more veggies!
- Crispy Crunch: Add some delicious crunch to your bowl with canned water chestnuts (drained and rinsed), a handful of chopped nuts, or even fried wonton wrappers.
Tips for Success
There’s more to this recipe than just a tasty dinner! Here are a few of my favorite tips and tricks for making the most delicious egg roll in a bowl.
- Meal Prep: This is the perfect recipe for quick and easy meal prep! Just cool the finished dish and divide into 4 airtight containers. Follow storing and reheating advice below.
- Special Seasonings: If you really love take-out egg rolls and want to mimic the taste more closely, try sautéing in peanut oil, and adding a tiny bit of oyster sauce and sesame oil to the skillet along with the peanut sauce. Oyster sauce and sesame oil really channel the “take out” taste.
- Go Low Carb: Try using cauliflower rice instead of regular rice for a low-carb meal that tastes amazing.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
- Refrigerate any leftovers in airtight food storage containers for up to 4 days.
- Reheat in the microwave, stirring well to make sure that the entire serving is heated through. You can also heat in a covered skillet over low heat, adding a spoonful or two of water if the dish seems dry.
How to Freeze Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Not only is this great as a prep ahead or leftover meal, you can also freeze it! I often double the batch and place half of it in an airtight container. Then, just keep it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Skillet Egg Roll in a Bowl
This Skillet Egg Roll in a Bowl is a quick and easy dinner made with tender cabbage, savory ground meat and the best egg roll flavors, all in one skillet!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef, ground turkey, ground pork, or ground chicken
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups pre-packaged coleslaw mix with matchstick carrots
- 2 cups cooked rice, or use cauliflower rice for a low carb option
- ¼ cup peanut sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- sliced green onions, for garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for serving
Heat olive oil in a large 12-inch skillet set over medium-high heat.
Add onions to the heated oil and cook for 2 minutes, or until just softened.
Stir in garlic and cook for 10 seconds.
Add ground meat, season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook, frequently stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until no longer pink. Drain and return skillet back to the burner over medium-high heat.
Add coleslaw to the meat and cook for 4 minutes.
Stir in rice, peanut sauce, water, and soy sauce; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Continue to simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, or until heated through and cabbage is wilted and tender; stir occasionally.
Remove from heat and taste for salt; adjust to taste.
Garnish with green onions and cilantro.
Serve with lime wedges.
- WW POINTS: Use cauliflower rice instead of brown rice and cut your Green and Blue Points down to 3.
- NET CARBS: Cut your carbs down to 7 per serving by using cauliflower rice in place of the rice.
Skillet Egg Roll in a Bowl
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g10%
Trans Fat 1g
Vitamin A 46IU1%
Vitamin C 19mg23%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Keywords: deconstructed egg roll, egg roll in a bowl
Want To Save This Recipe?
More Skillet Recipes to Try
There are so many tasty lunches and dinners that come together in a skillet. Here are some more of our favorite ones!