Ingredients: 3 T. olive oil,2 t. minced fresh thyme,1 1/2 t. smoked paprika,salt & pepper,1 whole chicken (4-5 lb.), cleaned and patted dry with paper towels,2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, ends trimmed flat and sliced into 1-inch slices
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees f. In a small bowl combine 2 T. olive oil, thyme, smoked paprika, 1 t. salt and 1/2 t. pepper. Carefully run your fingers under the skin covering the chicken breast, separating the skin from the meat. Rub the oil mixture all over the chicken, spooning some under the skin covering the breast. Tie the legs together with butchers twine and tuck the wings behind the back.
- Toss the sliced potatoes with the remaining tablespoon of oil, 3/4 t. salt and 1/2 t. pepper. Arrange the potatoes in a 12-inch nonstick, oven-safe skillet (see note above).
- Place the skillet over medium heat and cook, without flipping or stirring until the potatoes are golden-brown on the bottoms, about 7-9 minutes. Then place the prepared chicken, breast-side up on top of the potatoes.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast until a thermometer inserted in several places has reached 165 degrees (about 1-1 1/4 hours).
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and cover loosely with foil, let rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cover the skillet with the potatoes, add back to the oven and roast for an additional 20 minutes, until the potatoes are very tender. Carve the chicken and serve along side the roasted potatoes (and prepared to be wowed!).