Super fluffy Blueberry Pancakes with a muffin texture? YES!
Drench them in syrup, slather them with melted butter, or enjoy them straight out of the pan! Our Blueberry Pancakes are THE perfect weekend breakfast or brunch! Especially when juicy, warm blueberries burst into your mouth with every bite.
We added blueberries into our reader favourite fluffy pancakes recipe, to give you THE perfect breakfast! Golden, crispy edges with soft and fluffy centres, you will love the fresh and juicy addition.
We’ve altered our perfected recipe only slightly to let them rise with the addition of berries, as fruity additions tend to weigh the batter down, resulting in dense pancakes.
HOW TO MAKE BLUEBERRY PANCAKES FLUFFY
Usually, regular pancakes only need flour, baking powder, sugar, vanilla, milk and an egg.
To make blueberry pancakes nice and fluffy, we’ve adding an extra little pinch of baking soda and a squeeze of lemon juice to give them a big boost.
Baking soda (or bi carb soda) activates best when used with an acidic ingredient — in this case, lemon juice. If you can’t use juice, substitute with white vinegar, or replace the milk with buttermilk!
You want a batter n the thick side, as pictured below. This creates fluffier pancakes.
COOKING PERFECT PANCAKES
- Preheat your good quality, non stick pan or griddle on medium heat first. Once it’s hot, lower the heat down to low-medium heat. Wait about two minutes. This part is crucial and so worth it. Lightly grease the pan with a small amount of butter (yes, even on non stick pans), and wipe away any excess butter with a sheet of paper towel.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to pour your batter so you get perfect, evenly sized pancakes. Start pouring from the middle, then continue pouring slowly in a circular motion so that the batter spreads into a rustic round shape.
- Allow the pancakes to cook properly! Don’t rush them on high heat, or flip them too early. Let that under-side cook to a beautiful golden brown colour, and when bubbles start forming on top and around the surface (batter side), they are ready to flip.
How to get that flip perfected without creating lopsided pancakes? Grab a good, plastic spatula and slide it underneath the pancake. Use your WRIST to gently flip them instead of using your whole arm. You’ll know what I mean when you’re in front of your pan ready to flip. THIS makes a HUGE difference.
You want crispy, golden edges.
Once they’re cooked, slather with butter and serve with maple syrup and get ready for your mind to be blown away!
MORE BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST RECIPES
Homemade Blueberry Sauce
Easy Mango Blueberry Crumble (Crisp)
Lemon Blueberry French Toast
Blueberry Cheesecake Waffles
Blueberry Cheesecake French Toast Muffins
Look no further because a steaming stack of perfectly soft, Blueberry Pancakes are right here! Weekends will never be the same again!
PRINT SAVE go to your favorites
Serves: 12 pancakes
- 2 cups all purpose | plain flour, (300 g | 21 oz)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, (60g | 2 oz)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups milk (440ml)
- 1/4 cup melted butter, (60g | 2 oz)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, plus extra to serve
Combine together the flour, sugar (or sweetener), baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large-sized bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the milk, slightly cooled melted butter, vanilla and egg.
Use a wire whisk to whisk the wet ingredients together first before slowly folding them into the dry ingredients. Gently mix together until smooth (there may be a couple of lumps but that’s okay). Fold in blueberries.
Set the batter aside and allow to rest while heating up your pan or griddle.
Heat a nonstick pan or griddle over low-medium heat and wipe over with a little butter to lightly grease pan. Pour ¼ cup of batter onto the pan and spread out gently into a round shape with a spoon.
When the underside is golden and bubbles begin to appear on the surface, flip with a spatula and cook until golden. Repeat with remaining batter.
Serve with honey, maple syrup, fruit, ice cream or frozen yoghurt, or enjoy plain!
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 152mg | Potassium: 208mg | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 195IU | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 1.1mg