Sweet Potato & Turkey Enchilada Skillet is the best way to use your Thanksgiving leftovers with an easy 5 minute homemade enchilada sauce. You’ll make this again and again!
Hi friends! Warm greetings from chilly Chicago. I’m so excited for Thanksgiving because we’ve got an incredible menu planned and guess what I’m in charge of?
Possibly Salted Caramel Cheesecake or Pumpkin Cheesecake. Who can choose?! All I know is that Thanksgiving is about to be EPIC.
But what about afterwards? You know when you have all of those leftovers hanging around your fridge that you’ll probably want to get rid of ASAP. Well I’ve partnered up with my friends over at Peapod to bring you this easy 30 minute enchilada skillet dinner. Packed with shredded turkey breast, spoonfuls of roasted sweet potato, homemade enchilada sauce, corn tortillas and a little cheese baby!
You know you want it, so order everything you need from Peapod.com, then cozy up post-Thanksgiving Black Friday shopping and make this easy skillet.
Looking for a vegetarian version? Try my Butternut Squash & Black Bean Enchilada Skillet.
I hope you enjoy this healthy meal. If you make it be sure to tag #ambitiouskitchen on Instagram! xo.
30-Minute Leftover Sweet Potato & Turkey Enchilada Skillet
Author: Monique of AmbitiousKitchen.com
- Serving size: 1/4th of recipe
- Calories: 450
- Fat: 12.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrates: 43.4g
- Sugar: 11.1g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Protein: 38.4g
Recipe type: Dinner, Gluten Free, Healthy, 30 min or less
- 1 batch of my homemade enchilada sauce
- For the skillet:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup leftover mashed sweet potato (from 2 small or medium sweet potatoes)
- 2 cups shredded cooked leftover turkey or chicken breast (about 1 pound)
- 6 yellow corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 cup 2% Mexican shredded cheese, divided
- Cilantro, green onions and greek yogurt/sour cream, for serving
- First make the enchilada sauce, then set aside to cool. If you don’t want to make homemade enchilada sauce you can use 2 cups store bought enchilada sauce.
- To make the skillet: Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Add onions and garlic and cook 4-5 minutes until onions become translucent and garlic is fragrant. Add turkey and spoonfuls of mashed sweet potato and stir together to combine.
- Next add the corn tortilla pieces and all of the enchilada sauce; stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and sprinkle in 1/2 cup of cheese. Stir again and simmer for a few minutes. Sprinkle another 1/2 cup of cheese over the top and cover for 5 minutes to help melt the cheese. Serve with cilantro, green onions or sour cream/greek yogurt.
To make vegan: Skip the cheese or use a vegan cheese. Skip the turkey and use black beans instead.