Apple Cheddar Biscuits- tender buttermilk biscuits filled with cheddar cheese and sweet, tart apples. These easy drop biscuits are perfect for fall or anytime!
One of the most underrated flavor combinations, in my opinion, apple and cheddar. We just don’t see enough of it! Apple and cheddar belong together, like in this salad and in these incredible fall biscuits.
These Apple Cheddar Biscuits are a variation on our Buttermilk Drop Biscuits, which are a longtime favorite around here, and the flavor combination is a delight. It’s especially delicious in the fall, but I would make and enjoy these year-round!
The biscuits are the perfect side to soup, salad, chili, or any fall meal.
Aside from the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda you’d expect in a biscuit recipe like this one, you’ll be baking with:
- Buttermilk – You’ll want the buttermilk to be cold when you start using it! If you don’t have buttermilk, use regular milk with a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before incorporating it into the dough.
- Cheddar cheese – Use a good, sharp cheddar or white cheddar cheese. I also recommend using a block of cheese and not pre-shredded cheese. Grate the cheese yourself for the best flavor.
- Apple – I prefer Honeycrisp and I don’t peel them because I like the pop of color! If apple skins bug you, you can peel the apple first. Feel free to use your favorite variety of apple. You will need one large apple.
- Unsalted butter – For this recipe, melt ½ cup butter and then cool it slightly before using it for this recipe.
- Herbs – I usually don’t add herbs, but you certainly can. Fresh chives or rosemary would be a delicious addition to these biscuits!
How to Make
If you’ve made our buttermilk drop biscuits, you know they are the BEST! These biscuits are very similar, but have the addition of cheddar cheese and apple pieces to make them perfect for fall. Check out our original biscuit recipe for tips on how to make them, they are SO easy and turn out perfect every time.
When you add the shredded cheese and apple pieces, make sure you gently fold them in, being careful to not over mix.
Bake until the biscuits are set up and nice and golden. Serve warm and I recommend adding a little drizzle of honey. The honey is SO good with the cheddar and apples.
You can easily double this recipe if you need more biscuits. They don’t last long because they are SO good!
There are so many fall main dishes that would be absolutely delicious with these Apple Cheddar Biscuits! Truly endless possibilities.
How to Store
This recipe makes 9 biscuits. They can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to two days. I like to reheat them just a bit before enjoying, you can’t beat a warm biscuit.
To freeze biscuits, make sure they’re completely cooled before wrapping them tightly and storing them in a freezer-safe container. They can be frozen for two months.
More Biscuit Recipes
melted and cooled slightly
shredded sharp cheddar cheese
(I like Honeycrisp)
Apple Cheddar Biscuits
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9g45%
Vitamin A 459IU9%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Photos by Molly, Yes to Yolks.
Thanks for Sharing!
If you make this recipe, please leave a star rating and comment below! You can also share a picture on Instagram! Tag @twopeasandpod and use the hashtag #twopeasandtheirpod.