These Basil Pesto Grilled Potatoes in Foil are easy, healthy and full of flavor. You can make this 5-ingredient side dish on the grill, in the oven or over an open fire.
If you love potatoes, you have to try my crispy Garlic Herb Grilled Potatoes in Foil next!
An Easy Grilled Potatoes in Foil Recipe
There are endless ways to prepare potatoes, and this easy recipe won’t disappoint. Made with basil pesto and fresh garlic, the flavors in this healthy side dish are unreal! AND, grilling potatoes in foil is completely mess-free. 🙌
You can also use the foil as a plate so you don’t have to do the dishes. 👊 This recipe is great for camping, tailgating and barbecues. If you want to enjoy pesto potatoes on a rainy day, simply cook them in the oven.
- Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes: You can use another potato variety if you’d like, as long as they’re baby potatoes.
- Basil Pesto: Use your favorite brand of basil pesto or try my simple Homemade Spinach Pesto instead.
- Minced Garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- Parsley or Basil: Garnish your side dish with a sprinkle of fresh basil or parsley, if desired.
How to Grill Potatoes in Foil
- Heat Grill: Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high.
- Cut Foil: Cut out four 12 x 12 pieces of aluminum foil and set aside.
- Mix Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, combine prepared potatoes, basil pesto, garlic, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Assemble Foil Packets: Evenly divide the potatoes between foil sheets. Fold all sides of the foil over the potatoes and seal closed.
- Grill: Transfer your foils to the grill and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, turning over once. To check for doneness, pierce the foil packets with a fork to check if your potatoes need longer to cook.
- Remove from Heat: Remove the foil packets from the grill and open them up, carefully, away from your face.
- Garnish & Serve: Sprinkle your pesto potatoes with parsley or basil, if desired, and serve!
- Heat Oven: Preheat your oven to 425˚F.
- Prepare Foil Packets for Baking: Assemble your foil packets and place them on a large baking sheet.
- Bake: Cook your potatoes for 17 to 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from Oven: Remove your potato packets from the oven and garnish your dish, if desired.
Open Fire Method
- Prepare Foil Packets: Assemble your pesto potato foil packets.
- Place onto Coals & Cook: Cook your potatoes right on top of the coals – not in the flames. Cook them for 20-25 minutes or until they reach your desired tenderness. Be sure to turn the packets over as your potatoes cook. We use this Portable Charcoal Grill. 👈 Tailgating fun!
- Remove from Heat: Using tongs, carefully remove your foil packets from the coals.
- Garnish & Serve: If desired, garnish potatoes with basil or parsley and enjoy!
How Long to Cook Grilled Potatoes
- The grilling time for these potatoes will vary depending on your grill, and the same goes for your oven. Generally, they shouldn’t need more than 25 minutes to cook.
- If you make this recipe using the open fire method, be especially careful not to burn your potatoes as they’ll be resting directly on top of burning coals. You can always throw a small ice cube into the foil packets if you want to make sure they steam well while they cook.
There are so many things you can add to this dish to make it even more flavorful. Here are some easy variation ideas to explore:
- Add More Vegetables: Don’t hesitate to add more veggies if you’d like. You’ll just have to make your foil pieces slightly larger or increase the number of packets you make. Bell peppers and carrots would taste so good with these potatoes, as well as plenty of other fresh vegetables.
- Try Different Seasonings: You can add tons of different seasonings to these grilled potatoes. Try making them spicy with a sprinkle of chili pepper or cayenne. You can also use taco seasoning, smoked paprika, or anything else you like to pair with your potatoes.
- Topping Ideas: I love topping these potatoes with sour cream, especially if I add a spicy seasoning. I also sometimes sprinkle them with shredded cheese right after I cook them. It gets so melty, gooey and delicious! See my recipe for Cheesy Bacon Potato Foil Packets.
What to Serve with Foil Packet Potatoes
- Filet Mignon: Whether you’re cooking in the oven or on the grill, this easy Filet Mignon is the perfect main dish to serve with your potatoes. It’s tender on the inside with a nice and charred exterior.
- Chicken Breasts: These potatoes taste amazing with my Juicy Stove Top Chicken Breasts. I almost always make this chicken recipe when I cook my potato packets in the oven.
- Pork: Try pairing your grilled potatoes with this tasty Grilled Pork Tenderloin. It’s packed with flavor and only uses 6 ingredients.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
You can refrigerate your potatoes right in the foil, as long as you make sure it’s completely closed around the potatoes. This way, it’s so much easier to reheat them! You can do so in the oven at 400°F for 15 minutes, or until they’re nice and warm.
More Potatoes Recipes
Tools Used in this Recipe
Basil Pesto Grilled Potatoes in Foil
These Basil Pesto Grilled Potatoes in Foil are easy, healthy and full of flavor. You can make this 5-ingredient side dish on the grill, in the oven, or over an open fire.
Course: Side Dish
Calories: 212 kcal
- 2 pounds baby Yukon potatoes rinsed, dried and halved
- 2 1/2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- chopped fresh parsley or basil for garnish
Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high.
Cut four 12 x 12 pieces of foil and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine prepared potatoes, basil pesto, garlic, salt and pepper; mix well.
Evenly divide the potatoes between foil sheets. Fold all sides of the foil over the potatoes and seal closed.
Transfer your foils to the grill and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, turning over once. To check for doneness, pierce the foil packets with a fork to check if your potatoes need longer to cook.
Remove the foil packets from the grill and open them up, carefully, away from your face.
Sprinkle with parsley or basil, if desired, and serve.
Assemble your potato packets and place them on a large baking sheet.
Cook for 17 to 20 minutes, or until tender.
Remove from the oven and garnish.
Open Fire Method
Assemble your foil packets.
Place them on top of the coals – not in the flames. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender, turning over once
Using tongs, carefully remove your foil packets from the coals, garnish, and serve.
Basil Pesto Grilled Potatoes in Foil
Amount Per Serving
Calories 212 Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Vitamin A 189IU4%
Vitamin C 45mg55%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.