Broccoli Cheddar Rice
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Servings: 6
A quick and easy rice side dish with broccoli and plenty of cheese!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth or water)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the rice, mix and cook until the rice starts to turn translucent, about 1-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add the butter and broccoli, cover and cook for another 5 minutes, before turning off the heat.
- Mix in the cheese and let it melt before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and enjoying!
Option: Use a different cheese such as gruyere, parmesan, etc.
Option: Add cooked and diced (or shredded) chicken to make a light meal!
Note: If the broccoli is still a little to hard, let the pot sit, with the lid on, after turning off the heat for another 5 minutes.