Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Mac and Cheese
Prep Time:15 minutes Cook Time:1 hour Total Time:1 hour 15 minutes Servings: 8
Cajun seasoned mac and cheese with shrimp and sausage.
- 1 pound pasta (such as macaroni) (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers (green or yellow, or orange or red), diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, warmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the shrimp, seasoned with the cajun seasoning, and cook until cooked, about 2 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Add the sausage to the pan and cook, before setting aside.
- Add the butter to the pan, let it melt and start to bubble, add the onion, peppers, and celery and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cajun seasoning and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, mixing, until until it turns a light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, mix, bring just to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the cheddar cheese, monterey jack cheese and cream cheese and cook, mixing, until the cheese melts into the sauce.
- Mix in the cooked and drained pasta, shrimp and sausage and optionally pour into a large oven safe pan.
- Melt the butter in a pan, mix in the breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Sprinkle the cheese onto the mac and cheese followed by the breadcrumbs before baking in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the breadcrumbs are lightly golden brown, about 15 minute.
Option: Skip the breadcrumb topping and serve at step 9!
Option: Add hot sauce to taste!
Option: Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce!