Dill Pickle Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes Servings: 4
A simple comforting soup starring dill pickles!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pickle brine
- 1 pound potatoes (~2 medium potatoes), diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups dill pickles, diced small
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons flour (optional) (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried dill)
- salt pepper and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, brine and potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the dill pickles and heat, about 3-5 minutes.
- Mix the sour cream and flour before mixing into the soup, and simmering until it thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, mix in the dill and season with salt and pepper to taste before enjoying!
Option: Add a pinch of cayenne for some spicy heat!
Option: The sour cream adds creaminess to the soup and it can be omitted if you prefer a lighter broth!
Option: The flour works as a thickener and if you want a thinner, more brothy soup, omit it, or use less, and if you want a thicker soup, add more.