Ingredients: 1 pound dry organic black turtle beans,2 tablespoons organic coconut oil (or olive oil),1 organic onion, chopped (I used sweet yellow),4 jalapenos, seeded and chopped,2 tsp ground ginger,1/2 tsp ground allspice,1/2 tsp thyme,2 tsp course sea salt,8 cups of vegetable broth or water,4 cups local or organic sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes,1 tbsp brown sugar,1 tbsp brown sugar,1 bunch organic green onions, thinly cut,1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Rinse beans and place in a large bowl. Cover beans with 4 inches of water and soak overnight (or 8 hours). Strain and rinse black beans.
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and jalapeno and saut for 10 minutes, until soft.
- Add beans and vegetable broth or water. Stir in ginger, allspice, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and brown sugar and simmer for an additional 30 minutes, until beans and sweet potatoes are soft.
- Puree 1 cup of the soup in a blender and then add it back into the soup pot. Stir in cilantro and green onion. Salt and pepper to taste.