This easy and cheesy French Bread Pizza is ready in minutes! Make pizza at home in no time with this simple recipe featuring hearty French bread topped with garlic butter, stringy mozzarella, pizza sauce, and spicy pepperoni slices.
Make sure to try my Easy Homemade Pizza Crust Recipe too! It’s done faster than delivery!
French Bread Pizza: Cheesy Bread Pizza with Pepperoni!
Whenever I’m looking for a fast and delicious dinner that I can have ready in under 30 minutes, this cheesy homemade pizza made on French bread is always top of the list.
This recipe goes over extremely well with both kids and adults alike. It’s just that tasty. I mean, what’s not to love about a thick hunk of garlic bread smothered with layers of tangy tomato sauce and glorious, melty cheese? Can anyone resist? I think not.
French bread pizza uses easy-to-come-by ingredients and comes together super quick. I top mine with slices of pepperoni, but you can live out your pizza lover’s dreams with any pizza variations you’d like.
What is French Bread Pizza?
A French bread pizza is basically a homemade pizza, made with French bread as the crust! The story goes that a NY pizza joint owner named Bob Petrillose invented French bread pizza in the 1960s when he got tired of selling slices. These first French bread pizzas were called PMP or “Poor Man’s Pizza”.
This type of pizza eventually grew in popularity with Stouffer’s French Bread Pizza of freezer aisle fame.
- French Bread: Choose a wider, softer loaf of French bread for this recipe, as opposed to a crusty baguette.
- Butter: I brush my bread bases with a garlic butter mixture to channel all those savory garlic bread vibes. Alternatively, you can use a nice extra virgin olive oil in place of the melted butter.
- Seasonings: I season the butter with garlic powder, dried parsley, salt and pepper.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Freshly grated mozzarella is always delicious, but you can also keep this recipe low-maintenance with any pre-shredded, low moisture mozzarella.
- Pizza Sauce: Use a good quality store-bought pizza sauce.
- Toppings: I top this French bread pizza with slices of pepperoni, a sprinkle of parmesan and a pinch or two of Italian seasoning.
What Kind of Bread Works Best?
As mentioned above, a larger, soft-crusted French loaf works best for French bread pizza. I have a super easy recipe for Homemade French Bread that I love to use when I have the time.
When I’m buying bread from the store, I opt for day-old bread that’s wrapped in plastic rather than paper. This way the crust will be softer and the bread itself will be sturdier!
How to Make French Bread Pizza
While the oven preheats, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then set that aside while you prepare your French bread pizzas:
Prep the Bread: Slice the French loaf lengthwise, and then use your hands or another baking sheet to press each half down a bit. Deflating the bread a little will keep it from getting mushy while it’s in the oven.