Ingredients: 16 – 20 jumbo shells,1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach, cooked according to directions omitting the additional water,½ cup wheat germ,½ cup shredded parmesan cheese,½ cup pecans, chopped,1 cup shredded mexican cheese (cheddar works, too),2 green onions, finely diced,salt, to taste,dried basil, to taste (I used about ¼ teaspoon),2 eggs,1/3 c water,1 (16 oz) jar Alfredo sauce (I used Ragu),1 (28 oz) jar Spaghetti sauce (I used Prego Traditional)
- Start by pre-boiling your jumbo shells in a large pot of boiling salted water. You only need to cook them for about 9 minutes. They’ll finish cooking in the oven, later. After the 9 minutes, take them out and drain them face down on a paper towel. You don’t want an excess water in the shell!
- While the noodles are cooking, work on your filling. Cook some frozen spinach in the microwave until it’s no longer frozen. I’d recommend following the directions on the box, but don’t add in any water. Once the spinach is cooked, add to the spinach, wheat germ, parmesan cheese, Mexican (the original recipe called for cheddar) shredded cheese, chopped pecans, and finely diced green onions.
- Mix until combined.
- Add in salt, a touch of pepper, and dried basil, to taste. I used about teaspoon of dried basil, but feel free to use as much as you like. The sisters also suggest adding nutmeg, to taste, if you like!
- Once the mixture is seasoned to your liking, add in two eggs and water and mix again until the eggs have been fully incorporated!
- Now stuff the mixture into each of the shells. You should have enough of the spinach filling to make about 16 – 20 shells. Set these aside.
- Take an 8 x 8 pan (you could also use a 9 x 1
- and grease it with cooking spray. Now spread alfredo sauce on the bottom, you’ll use about of a jar.
- Spread spaghetti sauce on top of that. Use a spatula to spread it evenly on the bottom of the pan. Top the sauces with the shells. Use the remaining sauce to top the shells.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven, uncovered, for about 30 – 35 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and serve!