Ingredients: 2 lb. boneless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks (see pics),1 white onion, chopped,3, 4 garlic cloves, finely minced,1/2 tsp ginger powder,1 26 oz. can of tomato puree (diced works too),2 tbsp ground turmeric,2 tbsp ground cumin,2 tbsp garam masala,1 tsp paprika,1/2 tbsp cayenne,1 cup plain yogurt,1 tbsp butter,dash of salt and pepper to taste,2 tbsp olive or canola oil,4 loaves ready-made naan,fresh cilantro for garnish
- Cut chicken breasts into large chunks approx. 2-inches thick and combine with marinade/pre-rub of 1/2 tsp coriander, 1/2 tsp cumin, and 1/2 salt. This is an optional step and does add to the total cooking time, but doing it will make the chicken itself taste better. Set aside for 20 minutes at room temperature or place in the refrigerator for 1 or 2 hours. (Spice measurements were not included above to avoid confusion.)
- In large, heavy pot or Dutch oven on medium heat saute the onions and minced garlic in oil until well browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients (minus the chicken) and stir continuously for about 5~10 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook over medium heat for 25~30 minutes stirring occasionally until chicken is cooked through. Near the last 5 minutes, add the yogurt and run to a boil while stirring. If the curry is too thick, some extra may be added according to personal preference.
- Remove from heat and set to cool a few minutes.
- Plate with warm, sticky rice (basmati and non-sticky rice work well too) and top with curry.
- Garnish with available cilantro leaves and enjoy.