I dare you not to say Chicken Tinga Tacos over and over and over again. Doesn’t it make you giggle?
Shredded chicken cooked in the most crazy delicious spiced sauce on the planet and then stuffed in a taco…. Ummm yes please. The Tinga sauce is pretty much out of this world. You’ll want to slather it on top of everything – rice, quinoa, pasta, vegetables, you name it, it works on just about everything! But when it’s folded up in taco and topped with some avocado to balance the sauce, it’s absolute perfection.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 yellow onion, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 large tomatillo, husk removed, rinsed, and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- One (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped chipotles plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- Lime wedges
- Warm corn tortillas, diced white onion, avocado chopped cilantro, sliced scallions, crumbled cotija cheese, and lime wedges for serving
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add chicken thighs and cook until well browned, about 6 minutes. Flip thighs and continue to cook until other side is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate, leaving fat in pan, and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to the same Dutch oven and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have browned around the edges, about 5 minutes. Add tomatillo and cook until browned around the edges, about 4 minutes. Add oregano and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, chipotle, and adobo sauce and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Transfer sauce to a blender and puree until smooth. Pour sauce back into pan, stir in chicken stock and bay leaf, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Nestle chicken thighs in sauce, reduce to a simmer, and cook until chicken is fully cooked and easily shredded. Transfer chicken to a plate and let sit until cool enough to handle. Remove sauce from heat and discard bay leaf.
- Pull chicken meat into strips. Stir chicken into sauce and cook over medium heat until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt to taste.
- Spoon chicken into warm tortillas and top with avocado, onion, cilantro, and cotija cheese. Serve with lime wedges.