This image courtesy of Joseph DeLeo
If you are making Chinese food at home, use little or no fat in a pot, or a nonstick pan or wok. Your pan has to be large enough to hold all the vegetables.
Makes4 cups (1 L) (2 large meal servings)
Dietary ConsiderationDiabetic, Egg-free, Gluten-free, Halal, Kosher, Lactose-free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free
- 1 small onion
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 to 6 cups (1 to 1.5 L) loosely packed vegetable pieces (see Notes)
- 3/5 cup/175 mL (or 6 oz/175 g) raw lean red meat, chicken or fish, thinly sliced (see Notes)
- 1 packet (4.5 g) reduced-salt chicken or beef bouillon mix
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) water
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cornstarch
- ¼ cup (50 mL) cold water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground ginger
Chop up or slice your onion, garlic and 4 cups (1 L) of vegetables. I usually put in one bowl the vegetables that need the most cooking, such as carrots and broccoli. In a second bowl I put the vegetables that need less cooking, such as bean sprouts. Put the bowls’ of vegetables to the side.
Place the raw meat (or other protein choice) in your cold wok or frying pan. Sprinkle the bouillon mix on your meat and stir. Add 2 tablespoons (25 mL) of water. Heat up your wok or frying pan and cook for about 3 minutes. If you are using cooked leftover meat instead of raw meat, it doesn’t need to be cooked first.
Add the onions, garlic and first bowl of vegetables. Stir at high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until cooked. Now add the second bowl of vegetables.
In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch, ¼ cup (50 mL) of cold water, soy sauce and ginger. Add this to your wok. Cook for another minute or two.
Other protein choices Instead of raw meat, chicken, or fish, you could use:
• 5 ounces (150 g) of leftover cooked chicken, meat or fish
• 7 ounces (210 g) of shrimp (23 jumbo shrimp)
• ½ cup (125 mL) firm tofu (cut in chunks)
• 28 almonds
Fresh vegetables are best in a stir-fry, but you could also use frozen or canned vegetables. Try any of these vegetables:
• bamboo shoots (canned)
• bean sprouts
• broccoli (pieces)
• cabbage (shredded)
• carrots or celery (sliced)
• cauliflower (pieces)
• baby corn (canned)
• mushrooms (sliced)
• green onions (chopped)
• frozen peas or whole fresh snow peas
• green pepper (strips)
2008 Durand & Graham, LTD
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
We are adding your Comments.
Thank you! Your comment has been added.
We are sorry. There was an error tyring to post your rating and review.
Your comment will appear after our editors have had a chance to review it.