Ingredients: 50g homemade bread crumbs,50 g butter,480g chopped tomatoes from a can,2-4 egg plants, thinly sliced,3 egg yolks,230g feta cheese, grated,50 g flour,4 cloves garlic, finely chopped,¼ tsp ground allspice,¼ tsp ground cinnamon,½ tsp ground nutmeg,Salt and ground white pepper,400 g lean minced beef,250 ml warm milk,1 Tbs olive oil,Olive oil,2 onions, finely chopped,Sea salt,2 Tbs tomato paste
- Sprinkle the egg plant slices with salt and let them stand for 45 minutes. Then wash thoroughly to remove excess salt.Thinly brush each slice with olive oil and bake in the preheated grill pan for several minutes on each side. Set aside. Repeat until all slices are grilled.For the meat sauce lightly saute the onions in olive oil until tender.
- Add ground beef and saute, stirring frequently to break up the clumps of meat, until the meat is no longer pink.Stir in tomatoes, garlic, cinnamon, allspice, salt and pepper and simmer briefly on low heat.
- Add in tomato paste and a little water if the sauce is to thick.
- Remove from heat and set aside.For the bchamel sauce add flour to the melted butter, stirring constantly. When the mixture is evenly thick, gradually whisk in warm milk. Gently bring to the boil, then remove from heat, season with pepper and nutmeg.
- Whisk in (vigorously) the egg yolks. Set aside.Thinly coat with olive oil a suitable ovenproof baking dish, sprinkle the bottom with homemade bread crumbs.
- Place a layer of egg plant, cover with some meat sauce and feta cheese and repeat this until the pan is almost full. Finish with a layer of feta cheese.Top with bchamel sauce.Cover with tin foil and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 1 hour.
- Remove moussaka from the oven and let it set at room temperature 45 minutes before serving.