Chili Lime Cowboy Caviar is the BEST dip, salad or side dish! Vegan AND gluten free.
A great light and healthy snack, this Cowboy Caviar is a combination of a dip meets side salad meets a bean salsa all in one. You can also serve it like a salsa or Pico de Gallo! It was only fitting to pair this with my popular dressing from this Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Fajita Salad.
So easy to make, it’s just a matter of chopping up veggies and tossing everything together!
A bowl full of health! Black-eyed peas (also known as black-eye beans), black beans, sweet corn, grape tomatoes (or you can use cherry tomatoes or finely diced Roma tomatoes), peppers (capsicums) and avocados make this one incredibly fresh big bowl of flavours perfect for get togethers, pot lucks, barbecues, or anything you need it for. Mixed through with the best tasty dressing I created two years ago.
The dressing is so simple, yet filled with so many incredible flavours:
- olive oil
- fresh squeezed lime juice
- brown sugar (balances out the acidity of the lime juice. Substitute with honey if you wish).
- red chilli flakes
- cilantro (or substitute with parsley)
All of the ingredients combined together are sensational. Serve with corn chips or nacho chips to get that saltiness mixing through the tang and sweetness with every mouthful.
At first glance it may look like a Pico de Gallo or a loaded chunky salsa, but with one bite, you will no doubt become addicted and fall in love. Especially when dipping in your tortilla chips: the saltiness of chips combine with the sweetness of tomatoes, the crispness of the pepper, the kick of chili mixed through the subtle lime and garlic…pure heaven.
Make it anytime: for Easter, Christmas, game days or any day!
The smaller you chop your ingredients, the better it is. You want nice-sized mouthfuls to enjoy as a topping with your chips OR enjoy straight out of the bowl by the spoonfuls!
Everyone who tries this cowboy caviar falls head over heels and asks for it again and again… the bowl gets scraped clean in no time!
Looking for more side salad recipes? Try these!
Cowboy Caviar Video
Chili Lime Texas Caviar (also known as Cowboy Caviar) is the BEST salad, side dish or appetiser for any occasion! Vegan AND gluten free!
Serves: 10 serves
- 15 ounce (400 grams) can black eyed peas/beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce (400 grams) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce (400 grams) can sweet corn rinsed and drained
- 1/2 red bell pepper (capsicum), finely diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper (capsicum), finely diced
- 1/2 a red onion, diced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, , halved (or cherry tomatoes or 2 Roma tomatoes)
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- ⅓ cup Cilantro (or parsley), finely chopped
CHILI LIME DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, (freshly chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon red chilli flakes, adjust to your preference of spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Veggie sticks Nacho chips, Tortilla chips, etc
Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together to combine. Set aside.
Whisk dressing ingredients together in a smaller bowl, until well combined.
Pour dressing over salad, stir through, and serve with chips or veggie sticks.
Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 243mg | Potassium: 646mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 875IU | Vitamin C: 28.2mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 2.5mg