These Crispy Garlic Butter Parmesan Smashed Potatoes are the most delicious side dish, right up there with wedges and mashed potatoes.
If you’ve never tried smashed potatoes before, then you’ve got to try them at least once in your life! It’s a guarantee they’ll be making a regular appearance at house. And if that’s the case, I’m coming!
Fluffy and soft on the inside with a buttery crispy outside, smothered in garlic butter and parmesan cheese! Much like buttery and garlicky French fries or crispy hot chips. With an unbeatable crunch all over, it’s those crispy edges that send you over the edge, never asking for regular baked or roasted potatoes again.
The crispy crunch lies in all of those ridges on top! Don’t even worry about pressing them down pretty and flat.
Really, these can be either a side dish OR a main. We may have sat with the entire tray between us on the floor midst an emotionally charged This Is Us marathon, dipping them in tomato sauce or sour cream, with an extra sprinkling of salt because we like to live our lives on the edge.
Smashed potatoes are so easy to make, I swear, hand over heart.
However, once you sprinkle these with parmesan cheese and a little extra salt (because potatoes + salt = bliss), there’s no doubt in my mind you’ll go back for seconds. Thirds. Maybe even fifths.
Mind blown crispiness. TRY THEM!
When we decided to act like normal human beings, they were our side dish to that One Pan Lemon Garlic Baked Salmon + Asparagus!
WATCH HOW WE MAKE SMASHED POTATOES RIGHT HERE!
Crispy Garlic Butter Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
Crispy Garlic Butter Parmesan Smashed Potatoes are fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside, smothered in garlic butter and melted parmesan cheese! Much like buttery and garlicky French fries or crispy hot chips. Those crispy edges that send you over the edge!
- 2 lbs | 1kg potatoes Yukon Gold or Carisma
- A light spray of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 cloves garlic (, crushed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
- Pre-heat your oven to broil (or grill) settings to medium-high heat (about 200°C | 400°F).
- Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Bring to the boil; cook, covered for 30-35 minutes or until just fork-tender. Drain well.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet or tray with cooking oil spray. Arrange potatoes onto the sheet and use a potato masher to LIGHTLY flatten the potatoes in one piece (not too hard or they will end up mashed).
- Mix together the butter, garlic and parsley. Pour the mixture over each potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and lightly spray with olive oil spray.
- Broil (or grill) until they are golden and crispy (about 10-15 minutes). Remove from oven, sprinkle over the parmesan cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted.
- To serve, season with a little extra salt and parsley, and serve immediately.