Ingredients: 1/2 pound rhubarb (about 2 cups ½- inch diced),1/4 cup granulated sugar,1/4 cup cornstarch,1/4 teaspoon salt,1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the diced rhubarb,sugar, the cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium-low heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb releases its liquid and begins to breakdown, creating a thick, chunky sauce, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Layer 4 phyllo sheets, brushing each with melted butter.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Now let us cut four 4-inch squares from phyllo stack.
- Place 2 teaspoons of filling in center of square.
- Brush phyllo from edge of filling to each point of square lightly with water.
- Gather points of square and pinch together just above filling.
- Brush pouch with butter. Repeat process for all 4 pouches.
- Place filled pouches at least 1″ apart on ungreased cookie sheet or baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take the pouches out and let them cool on wire rack for ~5 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.