A new go-to weeknight dinner – Crockpot White Chicken Chili Burrito Bowls. Seasoned chicken slow cooked with onions, poblano peppers, and spicy salsa verde. Served up bowl style, just as you desire, with cilantro-lime rice, lettuce, lots of cheese, avocado, sour cream, and plenty of salty tortilla chips, plus extra salsa. These colorful chicken bowls are the simplest dinner to make and full of wonderful Mexican flavors. A fun any-night-of-the-week dinner that everyone will enjoy.
When I set out to make new recipes to share with you all, I have a few things in mind that I want to get out of the recipe. It varies from recipe, to recipe, but one constant is to create simple, delicious, and colorful weeknight meals. We’re all busy, so my main goal is for everyone to enjoy a homemade dinner, even on the busiest nights of the year.
Sometimes I nail it and a new recipe is super simple, super colorful, and totally delicious. Other times the recipe may check off 1 or 2 of those boxes. When a recipe does check off all the boxes I have floating around in my head, I know it’s a keeper.
I just finished writing the recipe for these burrito bowls. And while it didn’t check off all of my boxes, it sure checks off the simple and easy box.
Without a doubt, this is my simplest recipe of the week. It’s one of those amazing crockpot dinners that you just dump everything in, turn the crockpot on, walk away, and then come home to dinner.
You’ll have to make a side of rice and gather all your toppings, so I guess there are those “extras”. But that’s only minutes of prep and the outcome is so worth it.
These colorful Mexican-inspired bowls are so delicious, yet so simple. I know you’re going to love them.
Here are the details
Before I dive in, you can make these bowls with the crockpot, instant pot, or simply on the stove. However, I do love the crockpot for this recipe.
The ingredients are as follows: chicken, onion, poblano peppers, a mix of seasonings, and then jarred salsa verde. Dump this all into your crockpot and cook, nothing fancy. No searing, broiling, or anything.
Next, shred the chicken, which by this time should easily fall apart. Mix in white beans or pinto beans, cheddar cheese, and cilantro. That’s all.
The most time-consuming element of these bowls is gathering up all of the toppings. Which I will admit can take a few minutes, since we all love a bounty of burrito bowl toppings.
But that’s the beauty of a bowl-style recipe, you can build your own!
I serve the chicken over bowls of buttered cilantro rice, which I share the recipe for in the notes. Then plenty of toppings.
I like to arrange the burritos like this. First the rice, then spoon over the chicken, peppers, beans, and sauce from the crockpot. From here, I top with cheese so that the hot chicken will melt the cheese (YUM). Next add lettuce, lightly mashed avocado, cilantro, green onions, jalapeños, and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.
Add salsa over top along with chips on the side…all the delicious important things!
The final verdict from the family, specifically Creighton, is that these bowls need to be on repeat. He especially loved the saucy salsa verde chicken, which really is the heart of the recipe.
I love a little extra salsa verde sauce!
And guys, that’s pretty much it for this one. Simple as can be, but so delish. Think a little spicy, a touch creamy, filled with chicken, peppers, cheese, and all those yummy toppings. I love a simple January dinner when the days are busy and the nights are long and cold!
Looking for other fall dinners with a little kick? Here are a few ideas:
Lastly, if you make these Crockpot White Chicken Chili Burrito Bowls be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite
Crockpot White Chicken Chili Burrito Bowls
Calories Per Serving: 470 kcal
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 1 can white beans, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeños or serrano peppers, sliced
- 4 cups cooked rice
- shredded lettuce, avocado, green onion, and yogurt/sour cream, for serving
- 1-2 cups favorite salsa
- lime zest and juice
- tortilla chips, for serving
1. In the bowl of your crockpot, combine the chicken, peppers, cumin, chili powder and paprika. Season well with salt and pepper. Pour over the salsa verde. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.2. Lightly shred the chicken. Stir in the beans, cheddar cheese, and cilantro. Cook until the cheese melts, 5 minutes. 3. Serve the chicken and sauce over bowls of rice. Top, as desired, with lettuce, yogurt/sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, jalapeños, and green onions. Drizzle over the salsa. Zest lime over each bowl. Eat and enjoy with plenty of chips on the side.
1. In the bowl of your instant pot, combine the chicken, peppers, cumin, chili powder and paprika. Season well with salt and pepper. Pour over the salsa verde. Seal the lid and cook on high pressure for 8-12 minutes. 2. Finish as directed above.