Zucchini Alfredo Sauce
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes Servings: 4(4 cups)
A fresh and summery alfredo sauce with parmesan, pureed zucchini, lemon and basil!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or milk or broth)
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat, add the zucchini and onion and cook until tender, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Transfer to a food processor or a blender, add the cream and puree before returning to the pan.
- Melt the cheese into the sauce.
- Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and mix in the basil.
Option: Add corn from the cob, after pureeing, for even more summery freshness!
Option: Use another cheese, such as pecorino romano, asiago, etc.
Tip: Cook some pasta while making the sauce!