Skip the trip to Starbucks and make a perfect Flat White at home instead! This recipe calls for three simple and inexpensive ingredients that blend together beautifully to create a sweet, creamy, and delightfully caffeinated beverage.
Hot Flat White
Sometimes, you really just need a shot of espresso to start the day! While there are some coffee purists that enjoy the taste of espresso all by itself, I like to dress it up with just a little bit of frothed whole milk and a splash of sweetener. That way, I get my caffeine fix and enjoy my lightly sweetened drink that’s still strong, but doesn’t have that bitter espresso taste.
If you don’t have an espresso maker, don’t worry! This drink can also be made with strongly brewed coffee. It’s a real treat either way!
Why You’ll Love this Flat White Coffee Recipe:
- CAFFEINATED: When it comes to waking you up in the morning, espresso doesn’t play around! You’ll love the amount of caffeine in this hot drink.
- EASY TO MAKE: Pour your espresso, stir in your sweetener, and froth the milk. Voila, you have a flat white!
- COPYCAT: The line at Starbucks is always too long and it’s easy to overpay once you get there. Avoid all of that with this inexpensive flat white recipe!
It’s easy to ignore your needs in the morning, especially if you have a busy day ahead of you. Make the best out of your mornings by treating yourself to the coffee you deserve!
How to Make a Flat White
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Combine the espresso and sweetener.
- Top with frothed milk.
- While I like to use a milk frother, you can actually use the microwave to froth your milk as well. Just check out my recipe notes below for more info!
- The sweetener is optional, but if you have a sweet tooth like me, you’re going to want a splash in there.
- While you can use strongly brewed coffee, I highly recommend using espresso if you can.
Put simply, a flat white is a latte without milk foam! A flat white consists solely of espresso and steamed milk, while a latte consists of both of those elements along with milk foam.
I recommend using a good quality, strong espresso. My favorite Nespresso pods for flat whites are the Scuro and Chiaro.
Yes. While it won’t taste as strong, you can use your favorite kind of coffee (or even cold brew) depending on what you enjoy and have on hand.
While totally optional, I like to sweeten flat whites with a vanilla or caramel coffee syrup – about ½ pump. You could also use simple syrup or quick dissolve sugar if you prefer.
- If using the microwave to heat the milk, watch it closely as it can quickly overheat and splatter.
- For even more flavor, add a caramel or chocolate syrup drizzle on top.
- This recipe can be easily doubled!
This no-frills flat white recipe is perfect for starting off your busy day. It’s slightly sweet, has just the right amount of frothed milk, and a kick of espresso to wake you up!
What kind of milk should I use?
Use your favorite kind of dairy or non-dairy milk. If using a non-dairy milk, choose a “barista blend” that’s made specifically for coffee – they tend to foam better.
Can I make this drink without a milk frother?
Yes! See the recipe notes for how to make a flat white without a milk frother.
What kind of milk frother do you recommend?
Once you master this quick and easy flat white recipe in your kitchen, you’ll never overpay at a coffee shop again! It checks all of the right boxes and always gets me out of bed in the morning.
If you make this recipe be sure to upload a photo in the comment section below or leave a rating. Enjoy!