On social media, everyone always talks about the concept of “not a sad desk lunch”… but what about “not-a-sad desk snack?” For me, snacks can get SO boring. Often, at 3pm when my stomach is growling, I reach for a handful of plain raw almonds because that’s all I’ve got (when I’ve already eaten through the roasted ones). And then I’m kind of bummed that I didn’t have something a little more flavorful and that I just wasted a perfectly good snack opportunity.
So today – better snacks! Whether you work at a desk or you’re constantly on the go, these are all very simple and yummy. Plus, they’re gluten free, thanks to the delicious new gluten free Wasa crispbread crackers These crispbread crackers are especially great as a blank canvas. They’re sturdy enough to hold a healthy amount of toppings, and they’re just large enough that each one of these is a substantially-sized snack.
Pictured above are the ingredients for all 4 variations. Obviously, if I’m snacking by myself, I’d make just one type at a time, but how fun would it be to make them all and have a snack party? Snack hour = the new happy hour??
If I’m picking favorites here – this is the one. Inspired by wasabi peas (but not actually using them), I made an avocado-pea mash with a dab of wasabi, sesame, ginger, and garlic. Spread it on a cracker and top with more peas and sesame seeds. The avocado-pea mash will last about 2 days in the fridge.
A classic combo for summer. Instead of mozzarella, I mixed ricotta with lemon zest and sea salt. This will keep in the fridge all week, just top with cherry tomatoes and basil for a very fancy weekday snack.
I love all of these ingredients in a taco – this time I skipped the tortilla and loaded everything onto the gluten free Wasa crispbread cracker.
A recipe isn’t required for this simple combo, but pairing almond butter and berries never gets old to me. Even though I’m more of a savory snacker, I crave berries all summer long. Note: the berries are also good in place of the tomatoes on the ricotta cracker above!
4 Simple Summer Snacks
- ½ ripe avocado
- ¼ cup thawed frozen peas, plus extra for topping
- ½ garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- tiny dab of wasabi, more as desired*
- sea salt
- 4 Wasa Gluten Free Sesame & Sea Salt Crackers
- sesame oil, for drizzling
- sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- Wasabi Pea Crackers: In a small bowl, mash together the avocado, peas, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, wasabi, a drizzle of sesame oil, and a few pinches of salt. Spread onto (4) crackers and top each with the remaining peas and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Crunchy Caprese Crackers: In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt. Spread onto (4) crackers, and top each with the cherry tomatoes and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Taco Crackers: Use the back of a fork to lightly mash the avocado onto each of (4) crackers with a squeeze of lime and a pinch of salt. Top with the black beans, cilantro, pickled onion, and season with more salt, if desired.
- AB&B Crackers: Spread the almond butter onto the crackers and top each with the strawberries, blueberries, and coconut flakes.
*If you’re gluten free, check to make sure the wasabi product you get does not contain gluten.